Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up in Vista Home Basic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

There is probably a thread somewhere here concerning this issue, I just don't know where to look,Help plz.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

Hi audioAl,

Usually the D: drive is where the files needed to restore your computer to factory default are stored. It is normally about 10 gigs in size and should not be tampered with.

What has happened is that your backup & restore center has been incorrectly setup. No big problem though. You have a couple of choices here, either open the backup & restore center and turn off automatic backup or purchase some removable media (external hardrive, USB stick, DVD-R or CD-R) and adjust the settings in backup & restore to save to whichever one of these you choose.

Let me know if you need any further help with this.

:huh:

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Red Dawn, This is a client's computer, I didn't build it, it's a Dell Inspiron, 1 gig of ram. The Seagate drive 160 gig I believe had Vista home basic, the client's son reformatted and installed XP. But, he didn't register it. So, it wouldn't work properly. I reformatted and clean installed Vista Home Basic again from an upgrade disk, it would not register, so I called Microsoft tech center and they took me deep into the os to regetit and now its certified for updates and everything. It just wont backup, says it full. I'll go into it as you prescribe today and let you know which option the customer wants, and how it went,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users