Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Connection Loss

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lethal_Left_Eye

Lethal_Left_Eye

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:59 AM

Greetings BleepingComputer people!

For about two months now I've been experiencing an intermittent internet connection loss on my desktop PC. It hasn't been annoying me too much, but as of late the problem has worsened.

The Problem:
While browsing the internet I occasionally get the "Address Not Found" page. Occasionally being, 2-3 times a day, once I get this page, my internet stops working for about 15-20 minutes. If I wait the listed time, I can continue browsing the internet no problem. If I don't feel like waiting 20 minutes, I can reboot my computer and internet connection restores. I can also open Microsoft Internet Explorer, (I use Mozilla), and run the network diagnostics that are offered. When running the diagnostic, it asks me to check my cables connecting to my computer and router. I click next and then finish, then within seconds my internet connection is restored.

Funny things about this problem are that if I am browsing Facebook and I lose internet connection, I can still continue to browse the site, but with slowed speed. Also, if I am playing a game online, the problem never interrupts me. I am also unable to access the router settings via the browser and IP address when this connection loss occurs.

Now the problem has evolved and I can no longer use the internet, despite all the reboots and diagnostic fixes I try.

Things I've Tried:
I use my desktop mainly but I also use my laptop. I can connect my laptop to our home network via wireless or Ethernet cable, it depends on what I am doing. There are two Ethernet cables running to my room and both lead to the same router. I tried switching the cables used for the laptop and desktop but to no avail, the same problem persists, and the laptop continues to work no problem. This would suggest that the problem isn't with the cables or the router. Seeing as it is only my desktop that is being plighted. I've also tried reinstalling the Network Adapter drivers, and still no effect. As well a System Restore, no luck. Virus scans with the payed for version of AVG come up with nothing. HijackThis also comes up with nothing unusual.

Perhaps there is some setting that is being toggled randomly?
I am running out of options and I need suggestions and help, please aid!

Network settings and system specs:

Windows XP Home SP3
Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
3.01 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Network Adapter:
Intel® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection

Router:
D-Link DI-604

CMD | ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name............................... : Lethal Left Eye
Primary Dns Suffix................... :
Node Type............................... : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled................... : No
WINS Proxy Enabled................. : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description............................... : Intel® PRO/1000 PM Network Connection
Connection
Physical Address....................... : 00-13-D3-17-89-64
Dhcp Enabled........................... : No
IP Address............................... : 192.168.0.106
Subnet Mask............................ : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway...................... : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers........................... : 192.168.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:14 AM

You have switched cables but have you tried a different port on you router? Router ports can and do go bad.

For comparison purposes can you post an ipconfig /all from the machine that is not having a problem?

#3 Lethal_Left_Eye

Lethal_Left_Eye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

Heres the ipconfig /all report from the laptop

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name............................... : TELEHEALTH
Primary Dns Suffix................... :
Node Type............................... : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled................... : No
WINS Proxy Enabled................. : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State............................ : Media disconnected
Description............................. : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address..................... : 00-14-C2-D5-9D-BA

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description............................... : Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Connection
Physical Address....................... : 00-15-00-1C-8E-8D
Dhcp Enabled........................... : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled......... : Yes
IP Address............................... : 192.168.0.100
Default Gateway...................... : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server........................... : 192.168.1.1

If I switched the cables being used between the laptop and desktop, and the cables or router ports were the problem; wouldn't that mean that the laptop would have the same problems as the desktop?

I figured since switching the cables did nothing to fix the problem, that the problem couldn't be physical. I.E. cable malfunction or port malfunction. At least not on with the router.

Alas, I will try switching my PC's cable port. If the port is the problem then switching the cable's port should restore my internet. I will switch the port and reset the router.

And...It didn't work just as I suspected it wouldn't.

Edited by Lethal_Left_Eye, 20 January 2010 - 02:14 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

This is from your desktop:

Dhcp Enabled........................... : No
IP Address............................... : 192.168.0.106
Default Gateway...................... : 192.168.0.1

This is from your laptop:

Dhcp Enabled........................... : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled......... : Yes
IP Address............................... : 192.168.0.100
Default Gateway...................... : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server........................... : 192.168.1.1

Are you actually copying these or just re-writing them. Cause the laptop shouldn't have any connection with those IP addresses.

Do you actually have a static IP address on your desktop? Try setting it to "Obtain IP auto etc..." and same with DNS. Then at a command prompt type ipconfig /release and hit Enter then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter. No errors - type ipconfig /all and hit Enter, what are the IP address, default gateway and DNS?

Do you have a firewall on the desktop?

When you lose the ability to surf - Open a command prompt and type ping google.com and hit Enter. Any packets lost?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Lethal_Left_Eye

Lethal_Left_Eye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

Unfortunately my internet connection has magically returned.

I will attempt these things as soon as it disappears again.

I have to rewrite them seeing as I don't know of a way to copy from the command console.

Where do I go to set the static IP address?

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

In Network Connections -> right click the connection -> click properties -> in the list click TCP/IP to select it not uncheck it -> click the Properties button down and to the right. Window pops up and the dots should be beside "Obtain etc..." click OK x 2.

If you are typing it, it could be you typed No and meant Yes. But worth a few seconds to check.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Lethal_Left_Eye

Lethal_Left_Eye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Everything with a Yes/No answer in the command prompt say No. I double checked.

I set it to obtain an IP address automatically and I turned off my windows firewall.

So far so good.

I'll let you guys know of any changes, or if nothing happens for a while I'll let you know we fixed the problem. Although I'm not to thrilled about having to run around without my firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users