Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mom's computer only connects in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

Hey friends,

Today, with the help of this wonderful site, my mom and I (with me being 230 miles away) removed the AntiVirus live virus that was preventing any programs from running. We did it by using RKILL and MalwareBytes. However, even though the virus is apparently gone, she cannot connect to the internet, except in Safe Mode with Networking. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:48 AM

I'll try to give you as much info as I can since this is going 3rd party which is never fun.

When no OS is mentioned I always assume its XP so this is me doing that again.

She can't connect to the net OR no browser will show a page? Yes there is a difference.

How is she connected? Broadband? Wired or wireless to a router? straight to a modem? I'm going to assume that she is cable broadband and she is wired to a router.

First thing to do look at the IP address by opening a command prompt - Click Start -> click Run -> type cmd and hit Enter -> type ipconfig /all and hit Enter in the box that pops up. You are looking for "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:" under that look for "IP Address" , assuming she is connected to a router, to the right of that should be 192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x or 10.x.x.x. If it is one of those move to the next section. If it starts with 169 go 2 sections down. If she doesn't have a router it will start with something else.

192/172/10 Section:

What is the IP address? Yes it is safe to post that address.

Below that look for "Default Gateway" - What is to the right of that?

If the "IP address" is something like 192.168.1.100 and the "Default gateway" is something like 192.168.1.1, that's great. As long as the 3rd number matches and the IP address's 4th number is a higher than DG's 4th number, then she is getting a valid IP address.

Next type ping google.com and hit Enter - you are looking for the line "Packets: Sent =" Any lost?

If some lost type ping 74.125.65.147 and hit Enter. Looking for the same thing. Any lost?

169 Section:

Type ipconfig /release and hit Enter then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter. Any errors? If she gets errors, just double check the wires are plugged in completely. I am sure they will be because hardly anyone messes with the wires once they are plugged in. If wires are ok move on to next section.

If there is none lost or can't renew IP section:

Since she was infected, first thing we are going to do it look for a proxy server

In IE - Click Tools -> Click Internet Options - > click the Connections Tab -> Click the LAN Settings button. Nothing on this page should be checked. Uncheck anything checked and Click OK x 2. Close IE.

In Firefox - Click Tools - Click Options -> Click the Advanced Tab - > Click the Settings button. Only thing that should have a dot beside it is No proxy. Make sure its there and click OK x 2. Close Firefox.

If anything was checked in IE or Firefox and the IP address did NOT start with 169 - Open the browser and try to surf.

If anything was checked in IE or Firefox and the IP address did start with 169 - do the release/renew thing again and then try to surf.

If nothing was checked

Open a command prompt -> type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and hit Enter. Then type ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter. Then type netsh winsock reset catalog and hit Enter. Then reboot the PC. Then try to do what you couldn't do before: ping, release/renew.

If none of this worked - post the results so I can cry lol

EDIT: I sorta brain farted over the only in Safe mode part. Be sure if she has any sort of firewall its allowing her to surf. Most have a list of Exceptions. Make sure Internet or whatever is Allowed.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 20 January 2010 - 01:56 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

Sorry, I was getting tired when I wrote this.

She has XP, and, is running wired DSL. No websites popped up.

After I posted this, she called me and told me that after 2 hours on the phone with AT&T tech support, they got it "temporarily" fixed, but, that my mother would need to buy a new modem. I can't see that. It's like it was before, running just fine.

Jeremy

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

Did they say for her to buy a new modem or a new router? If she is running a router.

The reason I ask is that normally the modem is provided by the ISP. In this case AT&T. If she has a router then replacing it is up to the end user. Your Mom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users