Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp won't start -- Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 axeeeeL

axeeeeL

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

hey guys... my computer won't start up. when i get past the loading screen with the green bar, the screen turns black and my computer is unresponsive.

i've tried almost everything. when i try to run safe mode, my computer loads all the drives, and a blue screen with text on it appears for a split second, and the computer reboots itself. i couldn't quite catch what it read, because, well...it was only there for half a second. startup repair doesn't work, either...just a black screen.

earlier today, my computer was working fine. however, i DID hit part of my computer quite hard(don't bother asking why...i was extremely frustrated and angry), and from there on out, my computer froze, and then it basically stopped working.

so basically, what i'm asking is this: could i have broken a vital component of my computer by hitting it? is it possible to replace the broken parts? it doesn't really seem like i did any significant damage

also, i'm running windows vista home premium on an acer aspire 5720, if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

could i have broken a vital component of my computer by hitting it?

Yes, it is quite possible
Can you access and remain in, the BIOS with out it shutting down?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cooked

cooked

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:39 AM

Hi. I have a very similar problem. but I didn't hit my computer. Normally from pressing the on switch to full functionality, it takes about 2 minutes, which is a huge improvement on my previous.
I have a HP Compaq dc7900, Windows Vista professional.
About once a week, I just get a black screen, occasionally a 'please be patient message' if I'm lucky. A cup of coffee later, nothing's happened. So I turn the power off and reboot in safe mode, from there rebooting normally.
The room it is in had a temperature of 12C (53F) this morning. Any ideas?
Thanks

#4 axeeeeL

axeeeeL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:21 AM

yes, my computer can run BIOS fine without having to restart. it's just that when i actually try to boot it up in ANYTHING, it won't work...

at this point i think that i may have just knocked a part loose, because i'm almost certain that i didn't hit it hard enough to break a part...unless some computer parts are really fragile, then this should be the case(i hope). should i just try to open my laptop up and attempt to fix it? i honestly have no experience with this stuff, so i'm kinda worried about messing up.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

should i just try to open my laptop up and attempt to fix it? i honestly have no experience with this stuff, so i'm kinda worried about messing up.

No

#6 axeeeeL

axeeeeL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

well, what else could i do to fix it besides manually fixing it?

should i just bring it to a repair shop?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:34 PM

To axeeeeL

my computer can run BIOS fine without having to restart

OK so we know your computer will run

unless some computer parts are really fragile,

Yes the head of your hard drive, which I suspect is damaged
The only way to be 100% sure is to disassemble it
I recommend taking it to a local repair shop, not Geek Squad

============================

To cooked
Please start your own topic
In your problem description tell us exactly when and what you are doing when you get that message

Edited by garmanma, 24 January 2010 - 06:35 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 axeeeeL

axeeeeL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

okay i'll try to find one around my area.

thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users