Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on boot of XP Home

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 godsstigma

godsstigma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:57 PM

Hello All!

I have an issue I hope you can help me with.

I am trying to fix a co-workers machine running XP home that continually Blue Screens on me the second windows starts to boot. The error codes are as follows:

OX0000007E, (OXC0000005, OX8050ED8F, OXF88CE52C, OXF88CE228)

Now I have done some research on this error code and it appears it signifies a RAM fault. I have run memtest86+ with no errors and successfully booted a Fedora live CD so I know it is not the RAM or display adapter. The only thing left that I can think of is an error ridden HDD.

Does anyone have any input?

Thanks so much in advance!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 godsstigma

godsstigma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

Safe mode is down as well unfortunately.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

I've seen quite a few people on the forum with this problem recently. It seems to be related to malware. You could try a repair install of Windows:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 igor47

igor47

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

I'm having a similar issue, and through research have found that the best thing to do is to get in to recovery console and do some disk-checking as well as making sure that the NT kernel, boot.ini and mbr are good.

What this has to do with RAM I don't know, but I've read that in your case, it may work to completely power down the machine. I.e. unplugging the power cable, THEN turning the machine on (this will flush any residual power from the power supply which could be "keeping" junk alive in the RAM).

I've used UBCD ( http://www.ultimatebootcd.com ) in the past quite successfully to test RAM if the machine in question does not have that diagnostic built in.

Hope that helps

#6 godsstigma

godsstigma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:19 PM

Thanks Budapest,

I recently rid the system of some nasty malware and it seemed to be operating fine. It wasn't until a week later that the BSOD started popping up.
I was really saving the repair install as a last ditch effort, but it seems I may not have another choice.

#7 godsstigma

godsstigma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

Thanks igor47

Before playing with the machine I pulled the ram to check for physical damage so I know there wasn't anything "left" in there.

I will check the disk before the repair. I think that's the only thing I haven't tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users