Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help troubleshooting HDMI laptop to TV issues?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 branduin

branduin

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hi there! I have a Lenovo Thinkpad running WinXP and it has an HDMI port. We have a Sony LCD 46" with 2 HDMI inputs so I bought an HDMI cable right after Christmas so that we could watch Hulu on the big screen. We plugged it in and got video no problem right away, after a change to the audio output we had sound too. Great! We enjoyed watching full episodes for a couple weeks. Then my dad came over and I wanted to show it to him. So I fired it up and changed the TV input and was greeted with just a black screen. I tried the 2nd HDMI port and changed the input but same result. I restarted and tried it starting it with the HDMI cable plugged in and also tried it plugging it in after it was turned on. No luck.

I have taken the HDMI cable back and gotten a new one thinking that maybe I just got a bad cable but got the same black screen on the TV with the new cable. We also took our laptop and the new HDMI cable over to our neighbor's house and tried it on his TV but just got the black screen as well. So that pretty much tells me it's an issue with the laptop but I am not having any luck in searching for a solution. I am hoping it's something simple but I did not have any luck figuring it out after a couple hours of searching so I am here to ask the experts!

The only thing that I can think of that has changed recently on my laptop is that Firefox had an update. Otherwise I have a desktop that I do most of my work on.

My graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 9300M. I am not sure what other information would be helpful so please let me know what I can tell you that would help in figuring out what I am doing wrong here!

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 branduin

branduin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

Just bumping up to see if anyone had any ideas that I could try to get things working. I spent 3-4 hours on it the other night uninstalling and reinstalling audio and video drivers but nothing has worked yet.

#3 CUBuffalo

CUBuffalo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

I was searching for information on this exact problem and ran across your question. Did you ever get a fix? I noticed you didn't get a response on this board but am hoping you solved it another way. It's so frustrating! Sorry to not have a solution but just add to the question. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#4 branduin

branduin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hi! Unfortunately I found out the problem but it was not an *easy* fix. It was actually a problem with my motherboard and I ended up having to send my laptop in to get the board replaced under warranty. Everything has worked perfect since then so I am not sure what caused the issue, maybe something as simple as static or unplugging the HDMI cable before the computer powered down. Sorry to not be good news but that's what I ended up having to do. I tried everything else and determined it had to be an issue with the motherboard. Good luck!

Edited by branduin, 29 September 2010 - 07:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users