Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Essentials And .. What?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

Hey Everyone!!

Help me out here please?

I've never been clear on what programs, as far as anti-anythings go that you can run while also running Microsoft's security essentials!

Can you or should you run Avast or Malwarebytes while Microsoft is running?

What programs Should you be running besides Microsoft's Security Essentials?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

You need:
- one firewall (Windows firewall will do)
- one antivirus program (If you have Microsoft Security Essenatials, which is an antivirus program, you can't have any other, like Avast)
- you can have several antispyware programs installed (Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, etc.), bit you should run only one in real time; free versions of the mentioned programs don't run in real-time, so you can have them both

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

What Broni said.
But instead of all the malware and MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials) install avast! 5.0. It has anti-malware support built in and it has better detection rate then MSE.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

I agree on Avast, but I disagree on skipping antimalware program.
There is no single security program, which will detect everything.
Malwarebytes is an outstanding program and in 9 out of 10 cases will find what AV program missed.

P. S. I'm not a big fan of MS security programs (using none myself....ooops, installed MSE on one of my virtual Windows installation, just to see how it goes), however MSE seems to have pretty good ratings (again, not, that I really believe 100% in ratings).

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

The conflicts do`t so much arise in what they detect as how they are detected. Most AVs rely on a black list. Meaning that they have a data base that is used to compare things to when ever an object is scanned.

Anti-malware programs usually rely on behavioral blocking. Meaning it monitors the things going on on your PC and will alert to suspicious actions being performed.

Then you have programs that use a combination. And also include white lists. These are known safe programs that initiate what would normally be considered a suspicious action. But because they are already included in the data base white list the actions are ignored and no warning pop-up is given.

An example of an AV and AM both running in real time is the set-up I use on most of my machines. Avast and Threatfire.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

I used to use ThreatFire until it started giving me problems while installing Firefox add-ons and I pin-pointed it to TF.

Let's not forget about Avira (AV) and Comodo (AV + firewall), another excellent programs.

I use all kind of combinations of the mentioned programs on different Windows installations and no complaints so far.

My Website

#7 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

Thank You All for your help.

You and BleepingComputer are THE BEST!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users