Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Paid Security Suites

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RJ350z

RJ350z

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for some information on the best paid security suites. I realize there are pretty decent free alternatives, but they don't make use of a firewall and I really don't want to mess with Windows Firewall or download another version. Rather than using multiple programs, I want to simply use one suite and I have no problem paying a few bucks a year for a good one. Trying to decide between Norton, Kaspersky or Trend Micro right now.

Also, are there any good websites that show information comparing the effectiveness of each?

Obviously, vendor websites are useless since they all claim to be the very best.. :thumbsup:

Edited by RJ350z, 19 January 2010 - 07:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

I've been using Norton Internet Security 2010 for over a year now (started with 2009), and I extremely pleased. This is the only Norton product I would recommend - do not opt for Norton 360.

It installs incredibly fast, can be used on up to 3 PC's, runs silently in the background, does not bug the s*** out of you asking for permissions, very small resource usage (usually 6-12 MB's), and automatically updates every 6-14 minutes. There are free programs out there that do just as good a job, but they do not offer the convenience of a suite. You install it and forget it. If you like doing manual updates, checking for new versions, etc., then go with something else. I would rather be doing other things than checking my security.

Here is one link you can look at, I'm sure there are others: http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

I use ESET's Smart Security! :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 RJ350z

RJ350z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

I've been using Norton Internet Security 2010 for over a year now (started with 2009), and I extremely pleased. This is the only Norton product I would recommend - do not opt for Norton 360.

It installs incredibly fast, can be used on up to 3 PC's, runs silently in the background, does not bug the s*** out of you asking for permissions, very small resource usage (usually 6-12 MB's), and automatically updates every 6-14 minutes. There are free programs out there that do just as good a job, but they do not offer the convenience of a suite. You install it and forget it. If you like doing manual updates, checking for new versions, etc., then go with something else. I would rather be doing other things than checking my security.

Here is one link you can look at, I'm sure there are others: http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

What you described is exactly what I'm looking for. I just don't want to have to be bothered with worrying about constantly making sure its updated and everything. Thanks very much.

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

I'd go with either of the latest versions of Norton Internet Security or Kaspersky Internet Security.

Internet Security Suite Comparison: Kaspersky vs. Norton Part 1

Internet Security Suite Comparison: Kaspersky vs. Norton Part 2
Internet Security Suite Comparison: Kaspersky vs. Norton Part 3

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

fwiw, I use KIS 2010 currently and have used a version of theirs for over 5 years.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

I realize there are pretty decent free alternatives, but they don't make use of a firewall

Comodo Internet Security has both antivirus and firewall.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-securi...et-security.php
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

For many years I have been hooked on ZoneAlarm (which uses the Kaspersky scan engine)Antivirus which comes with a firewall. I love it and because I have shut off the alerts for the firewall I never get bothered with popups alerting to things it does. It does have an operating system firewall so if I am installing something or using a program for the first time and have not already given permission for the program, it will give me a popup for that program but I like that as it lets me know that nothing is going to be installed on my system without me knowing about it. It is really easy to configure and for the most part it just does its thing without bothing me.

I can also use it to stop programs from inserting themselves into my startup and I really like that since many programs do not have an option in them to keep them from doing that and they will do it even when they are not being used.

I do not use their extreme suite just the antivirus with firewall and that costs 39.99 to start and 19.99 each year to renew and it can be used on up to 3 computers. It is pretty easy on system resources, I only have 640 meg of ram and it does not slow my system down at all.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

I realize there are pretty decent free alternatives, but they don't make use of a firewall

+1 on Comodo, I have no idea why anyone would pay for a security suite when Comodo is available to home users for free.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

I have no idea why anyone would pay for a security suite when Comodo is available to home users for free.

Because I have had less than satisfactory results in the past with COMODO products. I found an alternative that worked far superior and was willing to pay for it and have no regrets doing so.

This is not to say I discourage use of them by others. I merely state my personal experience left much to be desired.

YMMV

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

I agree :thumbsup: However I have heard that their AV isn't the best, I only use their firewall.

#12 RJ350z

RJ350z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

I have no idea why anyone would pay for a security suite when Comodo is available to home users for free.

Because I have had less than satisfactory results in the past with COMODO products. I found an alternative that worked far superior and was willing to pay for it and have no regrets doing so.

This is not to say I discourage use of them by others. I merely state my personal experience left much to be desired.

YMMV

Same goes for me. It's also too much effort for my parents to configure and I have no problem paying for one I know that's good. Currently I'm probably going to choose Norton for my desktop and Kaspersky for my laptop. This way they can both scan my shared network drives. :thumbsup:

They both seem very good, and recommended by many users.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

ESET is also highly recommended by many users.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

I'd go with either of the latest versions of Norton Internet Security or Kaspersky Internet Security.

I agree. You could also look at AV-Comparatives, particularly their dynamic test, and AV-test for test results.

#15 RJ350z

RJ350z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

I appreciate all the replies guys. Thank you, you've all helped very much. I'm gonna have to try ESET in the future too. It seems Norton, Kaspersky, and ESET are all awesome in terms of protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users