Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Please!!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 evhjim

evhjim

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

Good afternoon. Here is my delima:
Sometime over this past weekend, my computer (running Vista) started locking up on me shortly after start-up. Basically, the computer starts up as it normally does, but within a few minutes (sometimes seconds), the desktop becomes unresponsive, and the cursor goes into "thinking" mode. When I attempt to open the task manager (Ctrl, Alt, Del), the screen goes blank after a few seconds, and I get a warning message that says "Security Failure - unable to create log" (Paraphrasing, I re-started in safe-mode to try to solve the problem, so I am not sure exactly what the warning message says). Unfortunately, I cannot do any surfing in safe mode (which seems to work fine), so I am currently on my work computer to get answers. It was suggested to me by a friend to download and run malwarebytes (which I put onto my flash drive and installed on my notebook in safe-mode), but the program would not run saying that one of the files did not register correctly or a file was missing (vbagrid6.ocx ...I think...). I then went looking for other malware removal options. I found Spybot and ComboFix, but it appears that Spybot requires an internet connection to operate, which I cannot do in safe mode. ComboFix suggests that I should not run it without consulting the fine people in this forum, so I humbly ask for your expert guidance in this matter. I have nearly 60GB of pictures and music that I do not want to lose, and I do not have a Windows Vista restore disk, so I need to do whatever I can to fix the problem without a full system restore.
I would be very appreciative for any assistance that could be provided.

Thank you!

Very Respectfully,

evhjim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 evhjim

evhjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:01 PM

Additional info:
the warning message that came up when trying access the task manager was as follows:
Login process has failed to create the security options dialog.
Failure - Security Options

this message has occured each time that I have tried "ctrl, alt, del" after the lock up.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this?
I am not sure what else I can do.

Thank you again for your assistance.

evhjim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users