Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card dilemma.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fridayness

Fridayness

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:06 PM

I just got a Dell Optiplex GX-110 for free from a school. Apparently the teacher has updated the parts in the computer to make it better... Well, I'm trying to install a new videocard so Sims 2 functions properly. I've got a PCI NVIDIA GeForce 2 card. The problem is, whenever the card is in and I start the computer up, the screen remains blank until the login screen comes up. When I take the video card out, it acts normally. This is making it impossible to get to the setup screen while the video card is installed.

I've tried all the directions for installing the video card, but none of them work. My dad works on computers for a living, so he knows what he's doing, and he's tried everything. I already have it set to Auto and everything, the problem is that once the new video card is in, it does disable the onboard video card automatically, but I stop getting any video output at all whatsoever. We tried another video card to see if something was wrong with the one I am trying to use, but it did the same thing.

We're going to try to do a BIOS upgrade, but I wanted to see if anyone else has any idea about what could be going on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:51 PM

I'd try the Bios Flash. It almost seems like the Bios can't recognize that card. Do you need to access the bios that often? If you don't Flash it is that really a problem?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users