Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't shutdown.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 10rand

10rand

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:43 PM

I have a P4, CPU 3.0 Ghz, 512MB, GeForce FX 5200. After playing a game I cannot shut it down immediately. Sometimes even after I work with it for a long time. [Not having played any game] If I try to shut it down, it will get stuck on the screen that says 'Windows is shutting down'. The only way to shut it down is to press the restart button, after which it will shutdown normally. This I don't think is good for the pc in the long run. I read in the forums somewhere that it might be might graphics card. I tried updating the driver but I can't get hold of current drivers. Help!!! Thanks.
"The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from the one who does."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jcxhc

jcxhc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:47 PM

what OS are you running?

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:20 PM

Hmm, is the computer acting slower? Have you been noticing a performance decrease? Before you have to physically restart the computer?

#4 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:57 PM

So sorry about the OS. It's Windows XP Home. No, the pc is not slower. I can open my applications just fine. Since I bought it I have not noticed any change from the Office applications and I'm using Office 2003. Am on a dial-up connection, and have Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, Adaware Personal SE, MS Antispyware Beta, Ewido, avast! and I occasionally run Trend Micro Sysclean. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#5 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:05 AM

Hi 10rand,

Here's a link on shutdown problems in XP,hope it helps.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

#6 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:07 AM

Thanks for the link Turnip. One of the suggestions mentioned is to update one's graphic card drivers. I have found the latest drivers at the nVidia website. What would be the correct way to update my drivers? nVidia suggest uninstalling all nVidia drivers using Add/Remove in the Control Panel. Would I be right in doing the following: [ Remove the old drivers using Add/Remove, install the new ones by double-clicking on their .exe file. When finished, Right clicking on My Computer>Properties>Device Manager>Click on GeForce FX5200 adapter>Click Driver> Update Driver>Accept Windows search(Yes)> Insert CD with latest drivers, etc. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:59 AM

Hi 10rand

The best way to install that driver is to go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything associated with your video card. Go to Device manager, click the + beside Display Adapter and highlight that and click Remove. Rebbot and when the Add New Hardware Wizard comes up cancel out of that. When the boot finishes, go to Start>Run>Browse to where you saved the driver and ok out. Since this is an .exe file this is the way to do it rather than using the Update Driver function. This function won't recognize an .exe, but rather wants an .inf file, which generally tells Windows which internal drivers to use.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Leurgy. Have successfully installed the latest drivers for my graphics card. There is a noticable improvement in the shutdown time but not as much as I would like and I hope it lasts. There hasn't been error messages so far, hope it stays like that in the future. Adds a little bit of confidence as I've never done anything like that before. Thanks again guys. :thumbsup: :flowers:

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:54 AM

Your welcome 10rand, thanks for posting back. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users