Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs on new Internew Explorer window

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaveMcK

DaveMcK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

When at home on my wireless network, I have a consistent problem starting internet explorer, firefox or even windows explorer. Sometimes the frame of the app will display, but will not finish starting, and other times nothing will display at all and the app does not start. My system will "hang" indefinitely and will not allow any new application to start. Existing applications are still accessible and run OK. There is still plenty of CPU, RAM and Page file available to run many more apps. I have a laptop with a button to enable the wireless system. When I disable the wireless, the app will complete it's startup and the system is no longer hung. I can then re-enable wireless and continue using the app (with a refresh to view the web page).

When at work, I can use the LAN and the office wireless network without any problems at all. This is a new problem as my home wireless system used to work fine with my system. My wife's laptop doesn't have this issue at home, just my computer. The wireless router at home has been reset and is an open network with no security.

I'm using:
Compaq nw8240
2Gb RAM
20Gb free harddisk space
3Gb page file
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
IE 6.0
Latest firefox

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

You might take a look in Event Viewer and post the detail for the last 3 items noted as errors.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 DaveMcK

DaveMcK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the tip. I looked around at the application, system and security errors. Perhaps there was a clue there which I missed. I've decided to give my laptop to IT and have it re-imaged. It's a very OLD image and I can benefit in many ways by updating it. So hopefully that will fix this problem. It's an extreme approach I know, but I've had this image a few years and it's not stable anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users