Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help removing Pc-Cillin software from system.,

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hacksback

hacksback

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

I installed a free version of PcCillin antivirus software some years ago. The version was older than 2006.
I successfully un-installed the program from the add/remove programs menu located in the Control Panel. (win 98 SE)

Here is the problem:
The program keeps generating some type of “ Virus property advert” when I make a new word document or Jpeg image.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6208/onel.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6816/twoqa.jpg

I also tried un-ticking a couple of PcCillin related programs I found in the System Config. Utility:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3196/threew.jpg

Even after doing this I still keep getting the “ Virus property adverts” in any new Jpeg or word doc I make.

=====
A donation for your service is on the way!

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 95/98/ME to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chamber

chamber

Bleepin' Geek

• Members
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:03 AM

Try this,

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp

It may be what you are looking for.

Posted Image

watch me and tremble, for I bring the purity of oblivion

Sudo apt-get me a sandwich!

Proud graduate of GeekU

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:37 AM

Well this is a problem with any Add/Remove programs they don't uninstall everything.

Give Revo as try. I would also recommend another app not to uninstall anything but to clean your system but I can't talk about that on here.

I would also recommend Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368 its free.

Seeing how you installed PcCillin some years ago then I would recommend you backup all your important files and do a format and reinstall of Win98SE. There will be that much crap on your system that as never been uninstalled or even used. If you open Windows Explorer and look that the date and time stamp for the C:\Windows folder that will tell when it was last rebuilt. You will need all your additional hardware drivers graphics card, sound card, printer, scanner etc, and a Win98SE CD. I used to format and rebuild my Win98SE every 4 or 5 months. This is not through problems its just everything is fresh and works as its supposed to. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 hacksback

hacksback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

Try this,

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp

It may be what you are looking for.

I tried this and got error:
USERENV.DLL, was not found

#5 hacksback

hacksback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

Well this is a problem with any Add/Remove programs they don't uninstall everything.

Give Revo as try. I would also recommend another app not to uninstall anything but to clean your system but I can't talk about that on here.

I would also recommend Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368 its free.

Sorry, these didn't launch as well.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

Seeing how you installed PcCillin some years ago then I would recommend you backup all your important files and do a format and reinstall of Win98SE. There will be that much crap on your system that as never been uninstalled or even used. If you open Windows Explorer and look that the date and time stamp for the C:\Windows folder that will tell when it was last rebuilt. You will need all your additional hardware drivers graphics card, sound card, printer, scanner etc, and a Win98SE CD. [u]I used to format and rebuild my Win98SE every 4 or 5 months. This is not through problems its just everything is fresh and works as its supposed to. [/u]:flowers:

:trumpet:

Keithuk hit the nail right on the head there, Mate. That is the only way to get WIN98SE or WIN98, running smoothly.

To get rid of the PcCillin, you could try using Windows Search for it and Delete all you find, as you no longer use it? But all the other Crap will still come back to haunt you.

If you no longer have the WIN98SE Install Program or the Drivers needed, I would suggest you ask for Help on that one specifically in where you first Posted and ask for this to be closed?

I personally am having Problems with XP that if I had from WIN98SE would have been long gone by now, hench my removal of late from here.

:thumbsup:

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

I installed a free version of PcCillin antivirus software some years ago. The version was older than 2006.

From the pictures it seems you have PC-Cillin 2000. Yes its too old to be useful anyway.

You can backup your files, format and reinstall Windows 98 SE. (recommended)
Or you can re-install PC Cillin 2000, restart and then uninstall it.
Or do this :
1. Backup your Windows registry as described here : http://www.dougknox.com/regback.htm
2. Open registry editor from Start Menu > Run, type regedit and press Enter
3. In Registry Editor, press F3 and type Tmdshell.dll and press Enter. Whatever reference is found, delete the key by pressing Del.
4. Restart your computer.

If anything goes wrong, you can always restore registry from backup as shown in the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q221512/

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:49 AM

If he's using PC-Cillin 2000 then that doesn't appear to be suitable for Win98. Plus he will probably need the serial number which I bet he doesn't have. :thumbsup:

PC-cillin for Windows NT/2000 (v2000) Free Download

but Amazon say it is.

Keith

#9 hacksback

hacksback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Ok one last question:
Maybe I'm creating a problem that really isn't there.

If I backup all the word docs, jpeg's etc. that have the "Pc-cillin virus property" tab
and load the files on another system that doesn’t have Pc-cillin software installed,
then I should no longer see the Pc-cillin virus property in any of the files.

In other words the pc-cillin is embedded in the computers system somewhere and not in the files I want to save. Is this correct?

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

Yes. You are correct.
The virus property is a shell extension installed by PC-Cillin 2000, it will be shown for all files only on that computer.
Many programs do so. For example WinRAR also installs such extension when viewing properties of Zip, RAR files etc.

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

If I backup all the word docs, jpeg's etc. that have the "Pc-cillin virus property" tab
and load the files on another system that doesnt have Pc-cillin software installed,

Well that is one option but I would think you would be better of doing a format and rebuild of your system. What is the point in copying your files on to someone elses system? :thumbsup:

Keith

#12 hacksback

hacksback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

and load the files on another system that doesn’t have Pc-cillin software installed,

Well that is one option but I would think you would be better of doing a format and rebuild of your system. What is the point in copying your files on to someone elses system? :thumbsup:

Well, actually the files i wanted to save were going on a new system I'm trying to hammer together.

Thanks all for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users