Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL agrees to customer service reform

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

America Online agreed to pay $1.25 million to the state of New York and reform its customer service procedures, the state attorney general announced on Wednesday. By Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com Published on ZDNet News: August 24, 2005, 11:04 AM PT The agreement stems from consumers' complaints that AOL customer service representatives would either ignore requests, or make it unduly difficult, to cancel their service, according to a statement from Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. Spitzer said that an incentive system AOL had developed for its customer service representatives contributed to most of the actions that drew complaints. *All I have to say, is that is about time, AOL was taken to task for thier actions.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

And rightly so, too. This is not the first time AOL has gotten into trouble for this kind of customer abuse. Hopefully now that it hurts their bottom line, they will mend their shoddy ways and let people easily discontinue service and not continue to be billed for it for months afterward.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

About time AOL had to pay. (no pun intended.)

If you have ever tried to cancel AOL its ridiculous. They ask you "Are you sure?" like a dozen times. Every time they said that I said "I want my service canceled."

#4 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:41 AM

i too started out trying them all for thier month trail.

people pc was easy to cancel.

netscape kept billing for three months after emailing a cancelation notice. i called netscape, and asked them to review my activity for those three months. they saw none. my response was, "do you realy expected me to pay for a sevice that i did not use"? they actualy put three months charges back in my acount. WOW!

aol (doesn't deserve capital letters) wouldn't respond to sevral emails sent to thier customer service link requesting cancelation. there are no links for unsubscribing. i had to call, wait 40 some minutes, speak to a super. after i got his imployee #, and a long conversation, him telling me he couldn't do that at customer service, i threaten, tactfully, to take him personaly, to court if aol didn't stop taking money out. then i told him the call was recorded. don't know if i could have done that, but he got all flustered and said "you can't record without advising first". i then asked him if he had heard of the "watergate tapes" and advised him that i was a private citizen and did not represent a company. on my answering machine i can record what ever i like. they stopped. :thumbsup:

four of my neighbors had similar instances. and one refused to put up with it and changed banks. then aol sent her account to collections and ruined her credit. she was 70 something and was trying to get a loan to buy a house and retire. she now lives in a retirement community. right where she didn't wan't to go.

that was truly sad.

Edited by igonuts2, 26 August 2005 - 02:44 AM.

Why work when you can play!

#5 azules_dos

azules_dos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:50 AM

Hi! I am a computer dummy.I have no idea how the thing works.My yamaha/nero cd burner is after 2 or 3 years of use is no longer recognized by my computer.I dont know what to do.Aby help out there. Azules dos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users