Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xubuntu 9.10 Login and audio problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

I have Win7 and Xubuntu 9.10 on the same HDD on my Chembook laptop. In a nutshell I am having the login problems where the screen goes back to username and password and does not log in. My sound is also not working. It is Realtek HD audio ALC888. I tried doing some Googleing on this but I am a Linux newbie and I can not get things to work with what I find online so far. I posted these questions on the Ubuntu forums and I either get not replies or stupid answers like "just use Google". Thank you all for the help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willm

Willm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the world of linux. I have spent some time on the Ubuntu forums and found that they aren't as friendly as other forums, like us. I would like to troubleshoot your login problem first and then we can get to your sound issue. I would like you to try this for me, when you start up your computer and you reach the login screen press these keys, CTRL + ALT + F3. This will bring you to a black screen with a login prompt, or at least it should. From there enter your login information and see if you are able to login.

Next, I would like you to type this at the prompt and see if it will start the gdm or gnome desktop manager.

sudo gdm start

If it spits out a lot of stuff about the gdm already being started, then try these commands.

sudo gdm stop

sudo gdm start

Lets see you are able to get through this way, then we can go from there.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users