Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rootkit.Agent.H: Can a single infected file do damage?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NordicBrit

NordicBrit

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

Hi BC people,

I wonder if someone can help me with (yet another) malware problem... I ran a scan with the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on my old laptop (Compaq NX9005, XP Pro). It detected a single infected file - Rootkit.Agent.H in driver 76371811.sys. I used MBAM's Remove option and MBAM says the file was "quarantined and deleted successfully". No other infections (memory, registry, folders, files) were found on this occasion.

The previous MBAM scan was done around 3 weeks before and the laptop was clean at that time. In those three weeks I used the laptop for on-line banking, purchases with my credit cards, etc.

I've changed some of my passwords using a different PC. What I'm wondering is whether I should take the step of notifying my credit card providers to block my cards? I guess the basic question is: could a single file infected with Rootkit.Agent.H steal passwords and CC info, or would there also need to be memory / registry infections for it to do that? I suppose what I'm hoping is that the malware was dormant rather than active...

Thanks in advance for your advice / help!

- Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

I can find no specific information on 76371811.sys so I don't know exactly what you were dealing with. Some infections will cause more damage than others, depending on how long it was on your system and whether it was able to download more malicious files. I generally provide the following comments when someone inquires about a rootkit detected on their system.

Rootkits, backdoor Trojans, Botnets, and IRCBots are very dangerous because they compromise system integrity by making changes that allow it to be used by the attacker for malicious purposes. Rootkits are used by Trojans to conceal its presence (hide from view) in order to prevent detection of an attacker's software and make removal more difficult. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. They can disable your anti-virus and security tools to prevent detection and removal. Remote attackers use backdoors as a means of accessing and taking control of a computer that bypasses security mechanisms. This type of exploit allows them to steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which is send back to the hacker. To learn more about these types of infections, you can refer to:If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed using a clean computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read:Although the rootkit was identified and may be removed, your machine has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume the computer is secure even if the malware appears to have been removed. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired so you can never be sure that you have completely removed a rootkit. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Tools that claim to be able to remove rootkits cannot guarantee that all traces of it will be removed. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 NordicBrit

NordicBrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

Hi quietman7,

Thanks for getting back to me. Ok, I guess the safest thing is to reformat the hard drive and then reinstall Windows and my programs.

I've got quite a lot of data files on the laptop (mainly Word docs, Excel files, photos). If I copy these onto an external USB hard drive, so that I can copy them back to the laptop after the reformat, is there any danger that I could also be backing up and restoring the malware, too?

- Peter

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

Your decision as to what action to take should be made by reading and asking yourself the questions presented in the "When should I re-format?" and "...Now What Do I Do?" links previously provided. As I already said, in some instances an infection may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them and your system cannot be completely cleaned, repaired or trusted. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. Should you decide to reformat or do a factory restore due to malware infection, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files, photos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml ) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or adding to the existing extension as shown here so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.

If your CD/DVD drive is unusable, another word of caution if you are considering backing up to an external usb hard drive as your only alternative. External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. I'm not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.

Also see How to use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from your dead Windows Computer. Again, do not back up any data with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

Should you decide to reformat and you're not sure how to do that or need help, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:Don't forget you will have to go to Microsoft Update and apply all Windows security patches after reformatting.

Note: If you're using an IBM, Sony, HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Gateway or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. Also be sure to read Technology Advisory Recovery Media. If the recovery partition has become infected, you will need to contact the manufacturer, explain what happened and ask them to send full recovery disks to use instead..

If you need additional assistance with reformatting or partitioning, you can start a new topic in the appropriate Windows Operating System Subforum.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 NordicBrit

NordicBrit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:10 AM

Thanks again! I really appreciate the advice you've given me.

- Peter

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:31 AM

You're welcome.