Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake antivirus ads pop up and malwarebytes, adaware, windows defender won't run

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jesterfuj

jesterfuj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

Hi, this morning I went to mcatpearls . com and clicked on the link to see the "printed version" of their files. However, once I went to that link symantec realtime virus scanner blocked something, but then pop ups of antivirus ads came up. I didn't click any of them, but I immediately tried to run symantec's scanner. Symantec picked up Antivirus 2009 and another virus which it deleted (sorry, can't recall the name).

Then, I tried running adaware and malwarebytes antimalware and they wouldn't work. As I did this 2 more pop ups came up about antivirus advertisements.

So I exited and booted into safe mode. I tried renaming the mbam.exe but wouldn't even open. I downloaded a fresh version of mbam setup and renamed that and also the manual updater and renamed that. Setup runs but then it still won't let me open the program in Safe mode (even after renaming).

Then I created an AVIRA boot CD. Booted with that, selected "attempt to repair or rename file" and ran AVIRA. Found processes and fixed them/ renamed them. Booted into safe mode but malwarebytes and adaware wouldln't load.

No more pop ups though.. but symantec still only picks up Antivirus 2009, nothing else. I also ran bitdefender online virus scan and it shows nothing with their quickscan. Housecall/Trendmicro won't launch.

Don't know what to do. Thanks!

Edit: Moved from XP to the more appropriate forum. To preclude the need for reposting. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:35 AM

Please open up a new topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Trained malware experts can assist you with this matter or at the very least guide you for more advanced help...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users