Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycling Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a Seagate U Series 7 60 GB Model ST360012a hard drive that I salvaged from my e-machine computer when it died several months ago and I'm wondering if I can use it as a second hard drive in a hp pavilion 512n.

The Seagate already has Windows XP Home Edition installed, as does the hp pavilion. The current hard drive in the hp pavilion is a Western Digital Raptor 60 GB 15K RPM SATA.

Are those two hard drives compatible with each other?

What will I need to do, other than just stick it in the empty slot and plug up that cable thing, to make it work?

Thanks for any advice..., I need all the help I can get here.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:17 AM

There should be no problem with the interoperability of the drives.

Is the Pavilion a standard specification machine? It lists as a 1.4GHz Celeron unit with an Intel 810e based motherboard, with a single IDE channel (seems a strange candidate for a Raptor?). If it has a SATA drive fitted with this board, then it seems there is a SATA controller card fitted, or a SATA to IDE adaptor on the drive. That would govern whether the second channel of the IDE is available for a second hard drive.

If the SATA drive is on a PCI controller, then the Seagate IDE HDD should be able to be added onto the IDE cable of the DVD burner. The drive jumpers would have to be set to suit the configuration, Cable Select if the DVD drive already uses this, or Slave if the DVD is already Master (probable as burners often want to be Master to function reliably). If the Raptor is on the IDE via an adaptor, there would be nowhere to connect the second HDD, but it seems a bit pointless to have connected a Raptor this way.

The DVD drive may use a standard 40-wire IDE cable, in which case the Seagate would not operate at its full ATA100 speed. You could change it to an ATA100 80-wire cable, but occasionally that upsets an optical drive.

Without knowing more of the system configuration, I'm not sure whether it would continue to boot Windows from the Raptor or if it might try to boot first from an IDE HDD. Assuming it booted up as normal, the you would reformat the Seagate from Disk Management.

Edited by Platypus, 19 January 2010 - 04:36 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:39 AM

you should be able to choose the boot order in BIOS which hard drive to boot up by, though there is another option.
easy way to do it is if you have an ubuntu live CD is physically install the hard drive, then boot up off the ubuntu live disc, and there is a partition manager in Ubuntu that you can use to format the second hard drive. then shut down the computer and boot back up the computer should automatically find the correct hard drive to boot from.

the previous 2 ways are if your primary hard drive is SATA. if the primary drive is IDE then all you need to do is set the primary jumper to master and the new one to slave and the computer will do the rest.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:58 AM

Hi the_patriot09, Hi Platypus,

Thanks for the reply guys. OK, first off I don't know a heck of a lot about what I'm trying to accomplish here so a lot of the terms you guys are using are like way over my head. So don't get upset if I tend to ask dumb questions.

As for the Seagate drive, I got the information about it off of its case so I know that part is correct. Now as for the Raptor, I just happened to stumble across that information while looking through my control panel. It was listed in the Edit Personal Profile section, and as I hadn't put that information there I just figured that this site had scanned the innards of my PC and listed what it had found in it.

OK, so how do I double check that drive information to make sure that it is correct? This machine was actually something that I found on the side of the road and rescued from the trash heap.

On the outside it appears to be a standard over the counter machine. As for the inside..., that's something I don't know about. But I do believe that it was part of a home office network before it, and a half dozen other IBM tower type machines were tossed out for the garbage man to pick up.

What do I need to do to be able to come up with the information needed for you guys to be able to stear me down the right path?

Thanks for your time and help.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:43 AM

two ways, the easy way for us to help you is just pull the side panel off and look at the hard drive. all we really need to know is the interface (how it connects to the computer) if its IDE it should have a gray ribbon attached to it thats about a inch/inch and a half wide. if its sata, should be a thin, narrow colored cable thats flat and about a half inch wide. once you determine the interface we can go from there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:58 AM

Besides physically examining the works, there are also ways to identify hardware with software. In the Windows Device Manager (if you're not used to accessing Device Manager, right click on My Computer, choose Properties, Hardware tab, press Device Manager button), clicking on the + next to Disk drives will display what Windows knows the hard drive as.

Another way is to download a system utility like Everest Home Edition, which will report hardware it finds in the system:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

There are adapters to go either way, IDE to SATA or via versa!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

adaptors rarely work in my experience.

picard5.jpg

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:18 AM

Hi guys, Thanks for the replies.

OK, I already had that EVEREST thing so I ran it. Haven't got a clue as to how to read the results, however, under "Storage" it has an IDE Controller listed and when I got to Device Manager I found --> IDE\ <-- in front of the name of the Hard Drive, so using my best blond hair to think with I guess it is an IDE thing.

Rats...! I loaned my little tool kit out and it went to Texas a week ago. Now I have to buy a screw driver to get into the case with. OK, I'll let you guys know what color that ribbon thing is as soon as I get the case open.

Thanks for your help and time.

Wendy

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

Your problem is hooking it up once you do that there is a good chance the system will find it, buy a cheap IDE case then plug it into your USB port. Best Buy has them for about $30!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-017-_-Product
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

OK, I feel even dumber today than I did yesterday. I went to Harbor Freight and bought me another small tool kit so that I could open the case on this thing and then when I went digging around behind it I found out that this sucker had two big old thumb screws where I figured I be needing to use a screw driver :thumbsup: .

All of that aside, I got the case open and there is a real wide, gray, flat cable that goes to the Hard Drive. It looks like it is one and a half to two inches wide and it has an unused connector, like the one that is plugged into the Hard Drive, on the end of it.

The Hard Drive is in a little case with the 3.5" floppy right above it and an empty slot right above that. There is also an extra, unused, plug in the wiring harness that looks like the one that plugs into the Hard Drive so I'm guessing that it is the power plug.

Actually, all of that is kind of what the inside of my e-machine looked like so, here again, I'm guessing that I should be able to stick that Hard Drive into this machine and hook it up without any problems.

Now I guess I need for someone to explain what the jumper things are and what I need to set them up so all of this will work.

And thanks for that link garmanma. I'll keep it in mind but right now I'm trying to get this done without spending any money if I don't have too.

Thanks for your time and help guys.

Wendy

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

that is what is known as IDE/PATA. the jumpers are shown in the below pic. The hard drive with your Operating system needs to be set to master. to do this, remove the little plastic piece and move it to connect the 2 pins at the master location most hard drives have either a picture on the top of the hard drive indicating which pins are master and slave, or have markings by the pin like in the photo I uploaded. The other hard drive needs to be set to "slave" Typically, with the IDE ribbon (the big gray thing) I like to plug the "master" hard drive into the end connector, or top one, and the slave into the bottom connector, and also put the master on top of the slave inside the case to avoid confusion If im ever working on it or someone else is working on it, since those are common locations to place them.

Attached Files

Edited by the_patriot09, 23 January 2010 - 11:04 PM.

picard5.jpg

#14 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:51 PM

Hi the_patriot09, Thanks for the reply.

OK, both of these Hard Drives already have Windows XP Home Edition with SP3 installed.

As for the Hard Drive that I have in my hand, mine doesn't look exactly like yours but reading the picture on the outside of its case showed me what to look at and this one is already set to master, as is the one in the PC I guess.

That wide gray connector ribbon has two plugs on it, one in the middle and one on the end.

The plug in the middle is plugged into the Hard Drive in the case and that drive is located at the bottom of the drive holder box. The 3.5 floppy is right above it and the empty bay is at the top of the pile.

If I read you correctly you are saying that you prefer having the Master Drive in the top slot and plugged into the end of the cable, with the Slave connected to the plug in the middle of that gray ribbon, and positioned below the master.

So that means that I would have to reset the jumper thing on the drive that's already installed to change it to Slave.

Am I getting all of this right so far?

Thanks for your help,

Wendy

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:30 AM

it doesnt actually matter which is on top and which is on bottom of the IDE ribbon connector, I do it that way to help avoid confusion, the only real thing that matters is that one hard drive, preferably the one with the OS you are going to use, needs to be set to master, and the other hard drive needs to be set to slave. the second hard drive should probably be formatted to be used as a secondary drive that way you dont have 2 operating systems fighting for which one gets booted up first.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users