Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hobbes1677

Hobbes1677

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:32 AM

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:09 AM

Firstly, don't attempt to turn it on anymore, as you're most likely cause more damage, each time, you do so.
Secondly, it's rather impossible to diagnose on line what's going on inside the case.
Your best option is to bring it to a pro shop.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

I would say probably the power supply went. Hope no damage to Mother Board or other components.
Let me know if you want to sell it for parts, ebay has used 4700 power supplies very reasonable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users