Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU locks up but runs fine in Safe Mode - Virus?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 chaos2010

chaos2010

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

Can anyone help me here? My laptop locks up especially when I try running anti-virus. Malwarebytes and Spybot run clean in Safe Mode. I think a virus has taken over. What steps can I take next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hello my name is Sempai and welcome to Bleeping Computer.
*We apologize for the delay. Forum have been busy.

*I want you to understand that I'm still a trainee here. I will be working with my Coach who will approve all my instructions before posting them to you, so there's a possibility to have some delays in my responses. But the good part is, there are two people reviewing your problem instead of one.

*It is important not to make any further changes or run any other tools unless instructed to. This may hinder the cleaning process of your machine.

*You must reply within 5 days otherwise this topic will be closed.

1. Let's do a scan with OTS.
  • Download OTS (by Oldtimer) to your Desktop.
  • Close all other programs and don't do anything while the scan is in progress because it may freeze.
  • Double-click on OTS.exe then click Run to start the program. (Do not change any settings).
    Notes:
    If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select run as administrator.
    2. If you are using a Windows 64bit machine, please make sure the checkbox next to 64Bit box is checked.
  • Click the Run Scan button to start the scan.
  • When the scan is complete, It will produce a report and a notepad will open.
  • Click Format tab in the notepad and make sure that Wordwrap is uncheck.
  • Post the entire content of the text file when you reply.
    Note: If the text file is too big to post, you can attach it instead. The log is located on your desktop as OTS.txt

2. We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  1. Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  2. Open on your desktop.
  3. Click the tab.
  4. Click the button.
  5. Check all seven boxes:
  6. Push Ok
  7. Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  8. Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  9. Once the scan completes, push the button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply.

~Semp

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

#3 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users