Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proper CPU/FSB/DDR2 Bios Settings for Newbie

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 monkey_tonic

monkey_tonic

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hoping some of you smart folks can help a relative newbie. I've just finished putting together a box that works fairly well, but with some minor irregularities. I hope some of you can help me make sense of it, and point the way.

The specs are as follows:
Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W (with a 12v 30A supply to the Nvidia card)

Initially, from a cold boot, it would produce the proper POST beep, proceed through the Window crawl screen, and then go to a black screen with a cursor and hour glass and hang. No response from the mouse or keyboard. A reset at this point, would proceed normally with all the usual screen and sounds. I checked the bios, for no particular reason, and found the FSB and multiplier were not set to give the full 2.8GHz. I made the following changes: Multiplier 10.5, FSB 266 Mhz. I left the DRAM frequency alone at 800 Mhz. This produced the inverse problem. Now, from a cold boot, everything is properly displayed, the bios splash screen, the POST info, the windows crawl and "welcome" screens. Of course, now on a reset from either Windows or during the boot process, absolutely nothing is displayed. There is nothing but a blank screen until the desktop magically appears.

All of this might not be so bothersome if I was more sure of the current BIOS settings which are:

CPU multiplier: 10.5
CPU freq: 2.8GHz (266 x 10.5)
FSB: 266

The DDR2 freq is still set at 800 MHz. I'm also unsure how to set the RAM divider setting.

I'm sure my woeful ignorance has shone through here. Any help in making sure I've got the proper settings going is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

According to Gigabyte the FSB speed should be 1066 so I'm not sure why it is at 266. Unless you are overclocking or know exactly what you are doing leave all of the settings set auto.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 monkey_tonic

monkey_tonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:28 AM

In the manual and on the website the following FSB freq's are listed.

Front Side Bus 1. 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz FSB

Also, the "Rated FSB" listed in CPU-Z indicated 1065.5-4 MHz and occasionally fluctuates. This is a approximately a ratio of 4:1 (1066/266).

Of course, I write after having cold booted from last night only to hear the correct single beep POST and a blank screen until the Windows desktop appears, so I'm not sure I can get to the Bios to check other settings.

Could the lack of screen image be somehow related to using a DVI-D only cable as opposed to a DVI-I (on order) ?

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

your card should show the post screen regardless of connection. Have you tried to press your bios access key (delete probably) even though you can't see the screen I may pop up anyhow.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

266.5 is what the FSB is supposed to be set at. that will give you the 1066 mhz FSB, if you set the BIOS FSB to where it says 1066 FSB chances are it will fry the CPU/motherboard. There is a little thing called a multiplier-266 is multiplied by 4, giving you the 1066 mhz. as long as the memory is running at the stock speed, and running stable, leave that at default. but let me emphasize this, DO NOT set the bios to where it says 1066 mhz it will damage components, 266 is the proper setting for the FSB. and yes, an improper cable can cause that to happen. though your post screen should always be there, whether you see it or not. try hitting the delete key repeatedly immediatly after turning the screen on and continue doing so until something appears (either the bios or the windows load screen) and tell us what happens.

Edited by the_patriot09, 19 January 2010 - 08:57 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 monkey_tonic

monkey_tonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

Many apologies for the delay in reply, and thanks for your replies. I finally received the DVI-I cable and plugged it in. Unfortunately, the issue of hanging on a blank screen with the immovable hourglass remains. Hitting reset led to a normal boot. The monitor indicates it is getting a DVI-A signal as the POST screens flash by. So, the problem of hanging during boot-up remains despite the change in cable.

This problem is vaguely reminiscent of similar problems I've read about wherein folks machines will appear to boot normally through the post but then hang at various points during the windows startup.

Could my problem be similar? Could this be some sort of problem between Windows XP and my graphics card? What can I check beyond updating my driver?

Thanks in advance as I realize this is a sorta silly problem. Once it boots, the machine work fine, but the boot problem leaves me concerned something is wrong with some deep arcane setting.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:42 AM

another thing I just thought of-what is the voltage settings supposed to be for the memory (it usually tells you in the specifications from the site you ordered it online if you purchased it online) and what is the motherboard voltage setting at? Ive never had the problem with kingston memory, though i havent used it in awhile, but I know with the patriot memory I do use runs at a different voltage then most motherboards are set to run at stock and requires a manual change.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 monkey_tonic

monkey_tonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

I'll be sure to add this info as well, but I've noticed what might be discrepancies in SPD and datasheet info for my memory.

The Kingston data sheet reports the following: 667MHz 5-5-5-15 at +1.8V / 800MHz 4-4-4-12 at +2.0V

However, using CPU-Z, the SPD info shows :
200 MHz CAS Latency - 3, RAS# to CAS# - 3, RAS# Precharge - 3, tRAS-9, tRC-12
266 MHz 4, 4, 4, 12, 16
400 MHz 5, 5, 5, 18, 23
All three listings indicate 1.8V

Presently, the settings in the BIOS are: Mem Frequency 800 MHz, CAS Latency 5, tRCD 5, tRP 5, tRAS 18, voltage 1.8V
BUT
CPU-Z Memory Tab shows: DRAM Freq - 399.5 MHz, FSB:DRAM - 2:3, 5,5,5,18

So, what should I go with? I'm still get the intermittent boot hang. The new cable doesn't seem to have fixed the hang problem, although, I reliably get the BIOS splash and POST screens.

So, if the FSB is set to 266 MHz. I guess I'm just not sure what should be pegged to what. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank

Edited by monkey_tonic, 03 February 2010 - 04:26 PM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

looks like your problems the memory, you state according to the stat sheets that kingston memory needs to run at 2.0v at 800 mhz, yet from my understanding its only running at 1.8v. either bump the memory voltage up to 2.0v or lower the frequency to 667 mhz, and see if that solves your problem.

picard5.jpg

#10 monkey_tonic

monkey_tonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Ok, the memory is running at 399.5 MHz according to CPU-Z, so I'm assuming that's the actual Freq. and the effective freq is 800 MHz. What is the risk in bumping up the voltage to 2.0V ? And why would the SPD data on the chip be different than the data sheet?

#11 monkey_tonic

monkey_tonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

So, now I've set the memory multiplier to 2.5 which gives FSB:DRAM ratio of 4:5, so the DRAM freq is 333 MHz, giving an effective freq of 667 MHz for which all the timings and voltage now match.

Of course, the problem of the mid-Windows boot hang remains. Something is causing Windows to hang in the midst of its boot. What else could possibly be going on? Are there settings in Windows I can check? Are there any hardware drivers I can check?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users