Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Request For The Bleeping Computer Team

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 azmodii

azmodii

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

Hi Guys,

As a tech, I often refer to your forums as a last ditched effort to root out hard to kill virii.
Love the things that are happening around here and the software that is being developed to combat such problems.

Which brings me to my request, Our development team are currently working on an intuitive piece of software capable of logical self-removal of questionable files. The basis works around a 'whitelist' of sorts. Anything in the whitelist stays turned on, and anything not gets turned off. It utilizes the autoruns method of creating a subkey and moving the entries into the subkey, making it reliable and reversable using both autoruns and the program itself.

The project is completely freeware, and is in its second closed beta.

The problem is, the whitelist is not yet large enough to accomodate the average user and is programed to ask if a file is not in the whitelist or the blacklist, in order to further the size of the list. By default, it turns off programs without verisign publishers and descriptions. I stumbled across your 'startup list' and sirens went off in my head. Is it possible for our dev's to pull the list from the site? Understandably all credit for the list would remain as is, but if our program had access to the list - it would make it significatly more effective, and mean that it could be distributed to main-stream users.

Our eventual aim is to hand it in for submission here.

CSV would be ideal, but any parsable format would do.

Thanks for your time

Regards

Joel Clark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

I would suggest that you please contact our administrator with your question
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/3/grinler/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

Hi Joel,

Unfortunately we are not able to help you with this. I am not a big believer in auto-parsers of startups because past projects like this have shown that there are way too many false positives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users