Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did it fix itself or is trouble ahead ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CaptainKirksGirl

CaptainKirksGirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

my PC kind of crashed this morning, it froze on a Yahoo page and so I had to reboot. Upon rebooting it I only got the initial reboot screen then just the flashing cursor on the top left hand side on a black screen. I rebooted it about 5 times, tried rebooting safemood -nothing worked. There had been no powersurge because the lights had not gone out or anything.
So---I called Geek Squad where I have my extended servive plan through Best Buy and the guy had me do a few things and it was still dead so he ordered me a new hard drive.
I left the PC on affter I talked with him and about 25 minutes later a screen came up saying "start up repair is checking your system for problems..." then "attempting repairs, this could take an hour". hours later this same screen was still "running-checking", I tried to cancel it but I got a message saying "repair cannot be cancelled". i waited and it still kept running so I thought it was just screwed up, so I turned the pC off and then turned it back on and....
It rebooted and scanned and checked files-discs etc and said it was recovering an "orphaned file"...then it came up fine ! I have since rebooted it again and came up clean.
So what am I supposed to do now call and cancel the hard drive, its probably already shipped to me so I'll have to return it BB I assume.
I hope I'm not going to have further problems after this is out of extended warrant because I bought it on 2/7/08 and it would be my luck if I cancel the new harddrive the thing will screw up again after 2/7/10 which is only a few weeks away ! This is the first problem I have had with this PC. Today was a rainy,slightly windy day but there was no power surge, the lights never went off or even flickered etc.

Thoughts please.....
Thanks for your time, I appreciate any comments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

I would go to support site for the manufacturer of the hard drive and download the diagnostic utility
Run that and see what it says
You cannot give a specified time frame of when the drive will fail
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users