Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP fresh start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zeebra

zeebra

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

I recently became the proud owner of an abused Averatec laptop. I have absolutely no need for anything that is currently saved on this unit. I would like to use this computer strictly for Email, web browsing, word processing, watching DVDs, and other very basic applications. I am struggling with the sound: at first it was really distorted and slow-ish. I fixed that though, now it doesn't work at all.

I am wondering if I should just wipe it and reinstall the OS and and necessary drivers. If so can some one give me a step by step?

Disclosure: I don't know what I am doing so go slow.

Edited by zeebra, 18 January 2010 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Do you have a Microsoft Genuine XP CD? The following instructions pertain to a clean install, using said CD. Recovery/restore CDs prepared by a system manufacturer...are not the same as a MS XP CD...instructions for using these recovery/restore CDs is the responsibility of the system manufacturer.

The MS XP CD can be used to delete any partitions which currently are on the hard drive. The sequence of events should be...delete existing, then proceed with install procedures...all done using the XP CD.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users