Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad infection and "stop error" - can't open Windows

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 buggie78

buggie78

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:10 PM

I got home the other night and opened my laptop to find florescent green wallpaper and sign that said, "you're computer is infected" or something, with a bunch of windows open running executable files. There were icons asking me to download the software "Internet Security 2010." First I tried to stop running processes, but it had blocked me from opening the task manager. I tried to delete or remove some suspicious-looking files, but they couldn't be deleted. I then ran malware bytes over night, and removed the items it found, but it didn't help much. I then installed windows updates, because I suspected they were out of date and the reason for the infection. When I came back tonight to work on it, I had a windows "stop error" screen telling me that I can't open windows to prevent further damage. I restarted a couple times and tried to open windows in safe mode and in the last working configuration, but it didn't work- I still can't open windows.

I'm at a completely loss on where to even start now (writing this on my roommate's computer). Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users