Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Spreadsheet COLOR items unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rodell

rodell

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

It occurs on both HP desktop XP SP3 & Dell Vista Ultimate SP2. Am on IE8; Ctrl Panel list also shows !E7.

Please note problem is twofold:
1. Inability to enter color on any designated cell(s).
2. On occasions when a spreadsheet Print Preview does show colors, they do not appear on Printout

I am unable to use either COLOR icons -- for text or for cells. No trouble heretofore which makes it so frustrating.
Ordinarily, following usual usage, all is well. For unknown reasons, now neither has any effect.

Explored for cause/cure without finding anything more than instructions already well known.
Did see note saying High Contrast might make colors ineffective, so searched out that. Found how to turn on/off, and easily turned off High Contrast. Made no difference.

So out of ideas at this juncture. What am I doing wrong or failing to do?

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

hello

something like this happened to me the other day..... check this excel picture if my instructions aren't clear..

open excel > go to the "page layout" tab > click the little button that expands a window, in the "sheet options" > when the window pops up "sheets" tab > make sure theres no check in the box "Black And White".... it's really helpful to see the picture, as I don't use excel that much and don't know the terms...

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 rodell

rodell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

Hi Kenny and thanks for reply of which I was unaware until today.

I did not find the B&W only box at specified location. Sheet Options has four items, two for VIEW & two for PAINT, all of which are checked. Although I could not also find the box elsewhere, I did find it sometime ago and it was already unchecked. So this is not a concern now.
Is the EXCEL picture you refer to the large circular button top left with geometric desion in it (SAVE icon immediately to the right)? If so, not applicable.

Please note important change in my original thread: COLOR icons work normally on desktop with XP SP3. Laptop Vista Ultimate SP2 no response at all.
Do not believe this is a change; more likely confusion/stupidity on my part.

I don't think it affects this worksheet function loss, but for the record, have just noted desktop has OFFICE2007 Standard, whereas laptop has OFFICE
2007 Professional Plus (intended for company rather than personal use, but consequently MSN Easy Assist unavailable unless buy it).

As a precaution, on each computer I ran REPAIR on OFFICE2007. Upon completion, no change observable, certainly not as to response by COLOR icons.
I also messed about with various Color entries on various ribbons at the top, and by clicking on individual cells. No change.

Cordially,

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

hello

I sent you a PM (private message) now you can disregard that, if you click the link in my first post, it explains more than i can describe as I don't use excel that much...

you have to expand the "sheet options" to get to where I want you to look, in the picture I highlighted where you need to click to expand sheet options...

If you click the word "Excel" in my 1st post it will take you to where I uploaded a screenshot, when you get there click the "view this image" button.. never mind heres the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t2ylylknjwj

I hope this helps.... :thumbsup:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#5 rodell

rodell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the referral Kenny. FYI, for your kind help and that of any forum members interested in what was an intractable problem, here's cause/cure.

I don't know if I'm more concerned with the cost ($65) of resolution or its simplicity (required two minutes), but I'm back to normal.

FYI, shifting THEME back to Windows Classic (or few other choices) restored COLOR icons to full function.

As for gridlines, clicking ZOOM at Print Preview restored them in all columns. As is well said, "Live & learn"!

Cordially, RO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users