Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My 12 Year Old Daughter's Computer Needs Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#1 BBlueize

BBlueize

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

Recently my daughter had Internet Security 2010 on her computer mad.gif and after being up all night I removed it and everything was working fine. Now this problem may or may not be connected to this but I felt it should be mentioned. A few days later, maybe a week, all of a sudden her computer will not turn on. It gets to the the Window picture and then very briefly shows a blue screen with writing and then wants me to try turning on the computer a different way. I tried every start up mode; finally I went into advanced start up mode and all I got from that was being able to at least stop the computer from keep restarting so I could see the blue screen. I think the only part that may be important in the message would be this...

Technical Information: ***STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005,0X811F5113,0XFAFAF7B0,0XFAFAF4AC)

(but I do have the entire thing copied if needed)

In a thread I saw someone say that it may not be a given that a computer has to be sent out and be fixed professionally when it won't start up. I have my computer that I can make disks on if needed. Also, we bought this used for her and it worked fine until IS 2010 so I don't think this came from being bought used but I'm also not sure IS2010 is involved either. If I can't fix it it won't be worth sending it anywhere to be fixed. My daughter got it for Christmas and though being naturally upset about all this is acting great and deserves every effort I can do. Please can someone help me to help her. I don't know what to do and it's killing me that I can't help her. sad.gif

If anyone replies please spell things out step by step as if this was my first computer. I can follow instructions but they have to be so clear it would probably be too simple for you. blush.gif

PS Her computer is a Toshiba Satellite. I don't know what year or anything but it had Windows 98 that was updated to Windows XP. Also, since we bought it used no software was included.

God knows, even Angels fall.

Life is What Happens When You're Making Other Plans

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:35 AM

Hello,

Can you please try to explain in detail what tools you did run to get rid of IS2010?

Do you have the XP CD at hand?

If not, are you able to burn a small iso to a CD?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 BBlueize

BBlueize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

I downloaded Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and rkill. I found that even though IS2010 let me download Malwarebytes it removed the exe. file so the program was useless. I have it on my computer so I burned the .exe file to a disc and put it on my daughter's computer in the Malwarebytes folder. I then used rkill to stun the virus from hell and Malwarebytes sent it back there to where it belonged. I think that was it. I can't remember everything; it was late at night but that's definitely what I did. I think I might have downloaded the rkill to my computer and burned it on a disc too and then put it on her computer but I'm not 100% sure. I know I burned 2 discs and that's the only reason I can see for burning another disc because I was like "great, now I burned 2 discs when I could have put both files on 1 disc". I know I never reinstalled Malwarebytes’ after IS2010 was gone because I forgot to. If there was something else I should have done please ask because my memory's not so hot but if you ask I might know if I did it or not.

When we bought the computer it came with no software. We got it for under $100 so that's why I said if I can't fix it it probably wouldn't be cost effective to have this one sent out to be fixed.

I'm happy to burn any file to a cd if you think it'll help. I'm tired at looking at a $100 rock and since that's what'll be I'm willing to try anything to get it going for Josie. Some Christmas present huh.

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Muriel smile.gif

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Since we have quite some searching to do here, lets start with creating Hirens Boot CD

*** Please print these instructions ***
  1. Download Hiren's BootCD Iso to the desktop of a clean computer.
  2. Extract the zipped HirensBootCD.zip to your desktop.
  3. Open the extracted HirensBootCD folder and extract the zipped HirensBootCD.iso.
  4. Double click the BurnToCD.cmd bat file contained in the HirensBootCD folder. This will launch BurnCDCC.
  5. Insert a blank CD in your drive.
  6. Press Start. This will burn the image to disc.
  7. After it has completed place the CD & restart your sick computer then boot from the HBCD you created.
    • If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
      • Restart your PC
      • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, F10, F12 or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
      • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
      • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
      • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      • If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
      • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
    • Your PC should now boot from your CD.
    • Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
  8. When the CD boots choose "Start MiniWindowsXP". Allow Windows to load. You will see a typical Windows Desktop.
  9. Double click the "Network" icon on your Desktop. This should establish a Network connection if you have an available Ethernet (wired) connection.
  10. Double click the "BootCDWinTools" icon on your Desktop. Choose "Menu" - "Browsers" - "Opera".
  11. You should now be connected to the internet.

After creating this CD, do the following:
Reboot your computer and tap f8 continually until the Advanced options menu turns up.
Highlight Enable bootlogging and press enter. Let your computer boot until the blue screen appears.

After that, boot with Hirens boot CD as instructed above and browse to the following file: c:\windows\ntbootlog.txt

Post its contents in your next reply (you can copy/paste it using Hirens internet otherwise, safe it to a flash drive).

Edited by elise025, 19 January 2010 - 01:33 PM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 BBlueize

BBlueize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Elise,

I got to Step 8. Start MiniWindowsXP never came up my choices are....

1. Partition Tools...
2. Back Up Tools...
3. Password and Registry Tools...
4. Recovery Tools...
5. Testing Tools...
6. Hard Disc Tools...
7. System Info Tools...
8. File Managers...
9. Next

1. MBR (Master Boot Record) Tools...
2. BIOS/CMOS Tools...
3. Multimedia Tools...
4. NTFS Ext2FS, Ext3FS (File Systems) Tools...
5. Other Tools...
6. DOS...
7. ...Back

and I thought I was doing so good. sad.gif

I'm keeping her computer at this spot until I hear back from you.

Muriel smashcomp.gif

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

what happens when you choose Back?

What version of Hirens boot cd did you download (only 9.9 and 10.1 have mini XP)?

Edited by elise025, 19 January 2010 - 02:58 PM.

regards, Elise

#7 BBlueize

BBlueize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

I downloaded 10.1 because it was at the top of the list and if I hit next or back it just goes back and forth between the two lists.

I just had what is probably a naive question. Could this be being caused because it was originally Windows 98 updated to Windows XP?

Edited by BBlueize, 19 January 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,085 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

Yes, thats quite possible....

Do you have a flash drive at hand and do you know the drive letter for it on the laptop?

regards, Elise

#9 BBlueize

BBlueize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

I know we have flash drives, my husband's work gave them out. Give me a minute to find one and then I'll figure out what drive...I think e. I'll write back as soon as I know.

Flash drive found...it is E

Edited by BBlueize, 19 January 2010 - 03:35 PM.

#10 BBlueize

BBlueize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

I just made sure that there was nothing on the flash drive. I wasn't sure how much space you'd need.

Thank you for putting all this effort in for my daughter.

#11 BBlueize

BBlueize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

I tried Network Support and I think that may have been right but I think we ran into a huge roadblock. She doesn't have wireless Internet on her computer and there's no spot for Ethernet (did I get that spelled right?). I have no way to get her computer online. censored2.gif

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,085 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:12 AM

No problem. smile.gif

Using My Computer, navigate to c:\windows\ntbootlog.txt

Copy this file to your flashdrive.

Now plug the flashdrive in your normal computer and paste the contents of ntbootlog.txt in your next reply.

If the file is huge, split it over more posts.

regards, Elise

#13 BBlueize

BBlueize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

I know I'm a little slow with the computer business but could the file ntbootlog.txt be in a folder in Windows folder? I don't see it straight in Windows.

There are a whole lot of files in blue that start with $. For instance, one is $NtUninstalKB923561$ (which I'm praying to God have something to do with the update to XP; cause there's a folder and too many files to count like it).

While I wait for you I'll poke around and see if I can find the file you want. I'm not going to do anything...just look.

Muriel

I just did a search for the file and it came up empty.

I shut the computer off and tried to start it regular every way it gave me and I still have no ntbootlog.txt file.

Would it be any help if I tried to restart it in safe mode and see what file (I'm assuming that's what they are) is the last file on the black screen before it starts to automatically restart? I'm not sure I can do it but it seems the same principle would work that got me the error message on the blue screen to stop so I could copy it down.

Edited by BBlueize, 20 January 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,085 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

This site explains a bit more in detail how to create a bootlog. Please make sure you followed all those steps. If you have questions, just let me know!

regards, Elise

#15 BBlueize

BBlueize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

I've been trying and I'm still not finding any ntbootlog.txt.

I have no problems Pressing F8 and getting the screenshots they show and doing them.

The computer then crashes again; so I reboot in Safe Mode like they say to do but I still don't see any file. It just keeps crashing.

I tried going in through the disk you had me make and it's still not there.

Am I doing something wrong?

No matter what I do; what mode I'm; in it crashes.

Since right now I'm obviously pretty useless, I went through Safe Mode over and over to get the last item shown (since in the directions you had me go do said that "More than likely the problem will be toward the end of the file (since that was the last item logged before crashing)" and I can at least give you that. The last item I see in Safe Mode is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\Drivers\agp440.sys

Doubt that will help but it gave me something to do. busy.gif

Edited by BBlueize, 20 January 2010 - 02:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users