Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help restoring default security settings for Windows XP Home.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 koalaz2004

koalaz2004

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

I'm trying to reset this computer back to its default security settings due to the fact it got owned by a virus.

I've gotten the trojan off the computer, but it set a bunch of policies on the computer and now I can't run/install quite a few programs. It would be much easier if I could just edit the group policies via gpedit.msc but since its XP Home it doesn't have it built in.

I went through all the places in the registry I thought the policies would have been set but I couldn't find anything.

What I'm trying to do now is reset the computer back to its default security settings by going to Run and typing MMC. When the console pops up, I click File, then Add/Remove Snap-in and click Add, and your supposed to add Security Configuration and Analysis, but I don't have that option to select from the menu. If I could add this in I should be able to just load the setup security.inf and reset the computer back to its default settings.

I've tried quite a few other things today but I am starting to run out of options. Any help would be awesome thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

You could try running SDFix. As a malware scanner I think it is quite out-of-date, however it will reset a lot of the registry items back to their default value as part of the scan.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 koalaz2004

koalaz2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem, do you possibly have any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 koalaz2004

koalaz2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:14 PM

I've tried that, it won't let me run the Auto Fix it.msi that Microsoft made since my Administrator has set policies. Also Security Configuration and Analysis doesn't show up in the menu so I am unable to select it to load the default security .ini so the security policies can return to the default settings.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help. :thumbsup:

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

Maybe try running this first:

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 koalaz2004

koalaz2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

That worked, thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users