Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unsecure network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 granmaf

granmaf

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:15 AM

i have everything working in my network but am not sure if it is secure because when i choose a wireless network, it has a message saying network is configured for open access, information sent over this network may be visible to others. if you want to connect click connect.

i have winxp a westel versalink with a ethernet connection hook onto on the main computer,with mcafee virus and firewall

win98 on the other computer with wireless netgear 54 mbps pci adapter in each computer with zonealarm virus and firewall installed

i am only using this at home just want to make sure it's ok
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:10 PM

Theres no guarantee that network is safe if its not encrypted. According to NetGear:

You can create a very secure network with NETGEAR products, but by default most security is turned off. Security is critical for your computers: we urge you to use at least some security features as soon as your basic installation is done.

They have a support page here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

I know that with a linksys router you just connect to the router via the router's IP address, if you dont know it, im sure there is a default that it has, maybe in the directions or there website or something

I would say your not safe, because anyone with a wireless laptop can be outside connecting to your internet/network

See if you can set up WEP (wireless encryption protocol) with this router

At home, i use a 26 bit network key, (basically one big password) that i connect to the router with

Im new here, hope this helps somewhat.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:18 PM

[Short for Wired Equivalent Privacy, a security protocol for wireless local area networks (WLANs) defined in the 802.11b standard. WEP is designed to provide the same level of security as that of a wired LAN. LANs are inherently more secure than WLANs because LANs are somewhat protected by the physicalities of their structure, having some or all part of the network inside a building that can be protected from unauthorized access. WLANs, which are over radio waves, do not have the same physical structure and therefore are more vulnerable to tampering. WEP aims to provide security by encrypting data over radio waves so that it is protected as it is transmitted from one end point to another. However, it has been found that WEP is not as secure as once believed. WEP is used at the two lowest layers of the OSI model - the data link and physical layers; it therefore does not offer end-to-end security. ]
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users