Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SHWB

SHWB

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

Hello,

My computer is nearly 10 years old but it is still in great shape. The problem I have been having is that for the last 2 years it runs very slow and I mean very very slow!!! Just to bring up Internet Explorer takes almost 2 minutes after I double clik on the icon!!! I bought an external hard drive and moved all of my school documents, pictures, and music downloads to that to free up some space on the computer's hard drive but there was no change in how fast it processed information.

I have had a few viruses attack me on some websites and I was able to download some software for free that got rid of them but I am afraid that they are still buried deep inside my system and are causing it to run slower and slower. Also, I am afraid that this makes me more susceptible to cath another viruse when I am surfing the Internet. Aside from scanning my computer weekly and running Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter once in a while, I am not sure how to fix this problem. I do not have $$ to purchase a new computer so I am trying to keep this one around for at least another year.

I would really appreciate if someone could respond to this and let me know what I can do to clean up my computer and hopefully get it to run faster again.

Thank you

Here are my computer specs if needed:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LARRY
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4500S
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~1793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A01, 5/21/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3