Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me understand gaming terms.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 10rand

10rand

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:34 AM

Am new to gaming. Some of the terms used in the forums I do not know what they mean? What is the best setting to use when playing games in terms of frames per second. Do you set the monitor or the graphics card to this setting? What is meant by a game lagging, crackling and stuttering and what causes such issues? Thank you. :thumbsup:
"The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from the one who does."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Odession

Odession

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:07 AM

That's a can of worms right there 10rand ;)

Frames per second (FPS), the ideal is 60, anything over that is a luxury.
30 FPS is about the minimum before you'll notice.

Some monitors can be configured to display at a faster or slower rate, although the standard rate is just fine. 60-somethings ((hertz? I forget!)) is the standard setting.
As for FPS rate, it depends a lot on the game and your system specs. Some games lean heavily on your graphics card, others use a lot of processing power and others use some of both. Plenty of RAM for both is useful.

What is meant by a game lagging, crackling and stuttering and what causes such issues?

EDIT INSERT: Lagging is usually referring to an online game where the delay between server and client communication is noticable. Crackling varies, but I understand it as when parts of the screen, say your healthbar, flickers on and off. Stuttering is probably where the framerate drops to a very low level from an acceptable level (Your zipping along at 65 FPS, then suddenly drop to 12-15FPS for a second or two as everyone shoots at you, then back up to 65 FPS again when you die and they all cease fire.)

General steps to take:

1) Ensure you meet the Recommended Specs, not the minimum.
2) Ensure your Graphics Card Drivers are up to date, update them if not.
3) Double check you have the most recent DivX
4) Check for patches for the game (Try fileplanet, or just a google search - "%gamename patch" and a brief surf will usually do the trick)
5) Reboot before you play a game.
6) If the error persists, try playing with the game's options (assuming you can get that far) and turning down the settings to see if the framerate improves. If that yields no result:
7) Find people with the same problem and put your heads together.

You may have lots of problems trying to play older games, especially on Windows XP, despite the advertising. I know I have. *mourns the loss of Alpha Centuri* :thumbsup:

Edited by Odession, 25 August 2005 - 08:16 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:11 AM

Many games, if you consult your user manual, will allow you to check the FPS; this applies to on-line games as well. If you cannot find the information in the manual, go to the forums run by the game manufacturer; you should easily find a discussion about such problems and maybe even some solutions to poor game performance.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:16 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try to get more information on the subject. Visit the games forums and also revisit the game manuals. What I've been trying is to update the drivers for my graphics card [GeForce FX5200] and have not succeeded. Thanks again.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:37 PM

The best place to go is the website of the manufacturer; avoid MS driver updates and third-party drivers.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:44 AM

Thanks.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic