Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot send any on-line questionnaire

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 novirusplease

novirusplease

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 04:19 AM

I use Windows XP and two anti-virus (AVG and Spyware Doctor).
Even though Spyware Doctor is deactivated and the security level put to zero, I cannot send any on-line questionnaire as the filled in questionnaire just keep coming back blank. I cannot even send any telephone book request of map router request.
Does anyone have any idea of what to do to solve this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:54 AM

What kind of online questionnaire are you having problems with? Is it one you have to Email or one that you fill in the blanks and then submit? How far in the process can you go, and do you get any kind of error message?

I am unclear about what process you are doing when you are attempting a map router request from a telephone book. Again, exactly how far in the process can you get? Can you provide a link and example?

I would think rather than looking to your AV as the problem, it may reside in your security settings for Windows or your browser (is it IE?). What firewall do you use?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:50 PM

The questionnaire is to be filled in on-line and submited through the web-browser (I use IE 6.0). An example of questionnaire is the following: http://www.directories.ch/pagesblanches/in...e=fr&origin=dir or http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/fra.../MaHomePage.htm .
There is no error message when I submit, it just come back the blank questionnaire as if nothing has been done. I can only fill in the questionnaire but submitting is of no use.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:59 PM

Hello novirusplease

Go to the Java Tester and read through the page and try some of the recommendations.

Let us know if that helps.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:36 PM

I agree that something is certainly wrong with Java.
---
I just wonder if I may be blind but I could not find the Java enabling box in the Internet option page. Is this normal?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:05 PM

That usually means you don't have Java installed. Do you see it in Add/Remove programs or is there an icon in the Control Panel?

Java Test - Does Java work with my Browser? What do you see when you go to that site? Thats a neat little card trick, if you can see it.

You can download Java here, but don't do that yet until you answer the above questions.

Edited by Leurgy, 28 August 2005 - 09:09 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 03:33 PM

The result of the Java test is: "Your browser does not support Java or Java is disabled. " ... indeed.

Now, I am trying to open Add/Remove programs but it refuses to open it. First that it does (it does nothing actually) such a strange thing while all other settings can be open.
... What to do next?

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

Can you open the Control Panel?
It's just Add/Remove that doesn't work?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

Spyware Doctor is not an AV program - it is an anti-malware program and as such may be on and operating at the same time as AVG or any other AV resident program. Reset it to its default settings.

You seem to have Java disabled. Are you using IE?

In any case, download Java from Sun Microsystems
http://java.com/en/

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

novirusplease before you download Java can you try a couple of other things? Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options and delete your temporary internet files (as well as Offline Content). If that won't open, try opening Internet Options from the Control panel and delete them there.

Got to Start>Run and type in msconfig and click ok. Go back there and type in regedit. Do those open?

#11 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:03 AM

I could finally open the Add/Remove programs (do not know why I could not last times): no Java programme anywhere.
How to install the optimal Java?

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:09 AM

Just go to the link in Enthusiast's or my previous post and download what you need.

Let us know if that works out.

Edited by Leurgy, 31 August 2005 - 07:33 AM.

#13 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:18 PM

I have tried to install the online Windows Java software but the jo150000(1).cab could not be found which led to quit the installation.
What is that file? How to complete the installation?

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:38 AM

A bad download is sometimes an indication of failing Ram. Try the Windows (Offline Installation). Its a 15.5MB download so I hope you don't have a dialup connection, however the Windows (Online Installation) is ultimately the same size.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:53 AM

Go to the java download page http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and click on "Windows Users: To see if your browser supports automatic installation, please click here."

What happens?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users