Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead RAM slot across 4 motherboards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KCA

KCA

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

Hello,

I've been having a chronic RAM problem over the span of a few months in which one RAM slot will not work at all. The problem originally cropped up on my old GIGABYTE AM2 Motherboard, which I unfortunately don't have the specs for anymore, in which one RAM slot simply would not work, in that out of the two slots, one accepted both sticks of RAM I was using at the time (Both DDR2 1044, of course, since that what the board required), but the other slot would consistently give me a POST error for bad memory no matter which RAM stick was inserted. Naturally I replaced it with a new board, this time the ASRock A780LM AM2+/AM2 RS780L (760G) Micro ATX board that I ordered from NewEgg.com. However, I had the same problem.

Now, because it happened on two different boards by two manufacturers, I questioned the quality of the RAM itself. One was brand new--I got it with the board I had just ordered--and the memory tests I ran on it confirmed that it worked fine. The older one, however, failed and I got rid of it. I tested both slots again just to confirm that the bad memory wasn't causing the problem and I still got the POST error.

Frustrated, I RMA'ed the board back to NewEgg and when I got the next one, I still had the problem, and I had been given a new stick of RAM for Christmas, also the proper RAM for the board, which did not work other. Bear in mind, Every RAM stick has worked in one slot, but none have worked in the other. Did another memtest and the new RAM passed. So, just to be safe, I ordered a new board and kept this one just to make sure I had a backup, despite the dead slot. I ordered the same board again, thinking that it must be a fluke, and again, the ram slot is dead.

This has made me extremely mad. With the latest board, I removed every single variable with the exception of the board, the RAM, power supply, CPU, monitor, and keyboard. The power supply is new, the keyboard is a couple of months old, and only the processor and monitor are over a year old. I still got the same problem, and knowing that both ram sticks RAM work fine in one of the slots, and assuming the monitor, keyboard, and power supply are working properly and wouldn't affect the RAM even if they weren't, it seems to me that the only thing that could cause the RAM slot to fail if they aren't DOA is the processor, but I have no idea what would cause that to happen.

Can anyone tell me if I just have extremely bad luck, or is my CPU the cause of the consistent RAM slot death?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

Do a bench test out of the case
Just remember that you are dealing with electricity
Try placing the motherboard on a piece of cardboard and attach everything one at a time
If it runs fine out of the case, look for something grounding out the bottom of the board
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 KCA

KCA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

No luck with taking the board out of the case, sadly. It is one thing I overlooked, but I wasn't too suspicious of it in the first place because there are riser screws between the board and the case.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

there are riser screws between the board and the case.

You'd be surprised
It all depends on how well the wave-solder job was

Edited by garmanma, 19 January 2010 - 07:43 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users