Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe gone wild!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zippyzoe

zippyzoe

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for reading my topic. My desktop computer was running sluggishly i.e. programs slow to load, text slow to type, lots of stopping running videos. The computer usage icon was running between 90-100%. I had probably 3 programs running. So I rebooted.

Here's my problem. The computer freezes during the start up (windows XP startup). I rebooted....same problem. This time I waited 15 minutes came back and same problem. Came back a few HOURS later and it had completed the boot.

This time the 'puter was still running slowly, worse than before. Computer usage icon was pegged at 100% ,I checked out the task manager to look at the memory usage. One file stuck out really bad -- svchost.exe. I had 8 svchost.exe files running but one was running at 90K - 140K. Yikes! Anyone have an idea what might be the problem.

I ran a defrag on my C drive. It was pretty bad @ 35% defrag lvl. Ran spyware and spyware aps and found 12 tracker files. Nothing big. Deleted them all.
Ran ccleaner to clean up registry. My computer runs XP and has 4meg ram.

Thank you.

ZZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

FWIW: 8 instances of svchost.exe running...is not bad.

I have 7 running right now and all are legit valid processes relating to programs I have installed.

You might take a look at How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Louis

#3 zippyzoe

zippyzoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

I couldn't take it anymore. So, I did a system restore from about a week ago. System seems to be running fine now. The Tutorial really is helpful. Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:08 AM

Glad you solved it :thumbsup:.

System restore is always a viable option if the system boots into XP, glad it worked the trick for you. Happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users