Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't login or bootup in safemode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevansky

stevansky

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

My Dad's Emachine desktop runs XP and he normally didn't have to log in. It would boot right up to his desktop whenever he turned it on. He got infected with some type of trojan this weekend (detected by spybot, name unknown, he didn't write it down). However he did remember that it said it could not remove the infection because of files that were in use and that it would require a restart and could it run on bootup. He told it ok and when it booted back up it came up with a user icon called Owner and said that he had one unread mail message. When you click on the icon to log in it says "logging out" and stays at the log in screen. I tried to start it up in safemode but it goes through the motions and then returns to the menu where you choose safemode, normal, etc.

The OS was preinstalled so he has no installation disks other than the factory restore partition so I can't try to repair. Is there a virus scan or other tool that I can install on a USB drive and boot to it and run a scan?? Thanks!

Edited by stevansky, 18 January 2010 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

I am moving this from XP to the Am I Infected forum.

You can try running this off the usb or a CD
VIPRE Rescue Program

Edited by boopme, 18 January 2010 - 04:14 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:50 AM

Evidently I've missed something. I assumed I would have to make my usb drive bootable so I did so using instructions I got from this site http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm Afterwards I copied the VIPRE program to it and off I went. I was able to boot to the usb drive but when I tried to run VIPRE it said that the program could not be run in DOS mode. So what am I missing? Do I just clear the thumb drive and put VIPRE only on it and boot to it that way? Thanks for your help!

#4 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

I found another post here that talked about using the F-Secure bootable rescue CD. I downloaded it and burned the image file to a cd and I have that up and running on his computer now. Hopefully I should know something in the next hour or two.

#5 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

F-Secure boot disk cleaned up the problem, 1 rootkit and 3 other viruses. However the files that were infected were evidently critical ones and never could get back into windows. Had to resort to the nuclear option and use the recovery partition. I chose the option to backup what it could and then reinstall windows so he didn't loose everything, but it's going to take awhile to get all the XP updates and all the other applications he used installed and running again.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

Well at least it'll be gone and you can use it again. Sometimes that is the only Option.
Please take a few minutes to read our quietman7's excellent Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:,in post 17. :thumbsup:

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the tips, links, and for your assistance. Finally got all the XP updates and service packs reinstalled along with Mcafee and Spybot. I can't blame this one on my Dad though. He's been pretty good about staying out of trouble the past several months. They had company this weekend and one of their "guests" left them a present it seems. Next time they visit I told him to hide the modem!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for the update.. It's appreciated. Happy Computing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users