Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kjouimet

kjouimet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Can't Execute - Says file is corrupt and says to download new file

I have a virus. My PC is displaying all kinds of security warnings to scan, fix, etc. My background is now bright green with a big black square telling me that my PC is corrupted and to fix. I can't get to task mgr or restore.

I've used ComboFix in the past--worked great. Now it won't work.

Help please. I'm going to look for other software on this site to download and try on my infected PC.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kjouimet

kjouimet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

I posted earlier about ComboFix not working. Is there any other way I can get a differently named file for combofix? I tried renaming it and it still won't work. I can't get to system restore in safe mode. Can't get to CMD line, can get to Task Mgr. I'm very frustrated at this point. I tried running Spybot but it didn't help. I am current user of Symantec Antivirus and Firewall. I also tried the malware file (can't recall now the name, mbxx something). At any rate, it also thru an error.

Please help,

kjouimet

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

Developer has been alerted. Waiting to hear back.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 kjouimet

kjouimet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thank you. I ended up getting the Internet Security 2010 virus. I am following these instructions now:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...t-security-2010

Malwarebytes is still running. It has found 12 infected objects so far.

I forgot about using rkill first the previous time I used ComboFix.

Hopefully after Malwarebytes is done, I may be able to run ComboFix.

#5 kjouimet

kjouimet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

Update: Malwarebytes removed or quarentined the virus. rkill made it possible to run malwarebytes. I followed instructions in link above. Thank you thank you to rkill and Malwarebytes and this site!!! In order to get those two files on my PC, I used another PC on the net and copied the files to a thumb drive. Then I dropped them on the infected PC destop.

FYI - After the fix I tried to run ComboFix and I still get the error: "Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation "

Also, I tried to do a system restore for yesterday, but I got a message saying I couldn't restore to that date.

I'm just so happy that my PC is back to normal.

Peace

Edited by kjouimet, 18 January 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. When that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users