Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reformat a Dell XPS 410 hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 emilsnake48

emilsnake48

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

I have a Dell XPS 410/9200 with Windows XP SP2 that has been severely infected. I've tried everything suggested on this site, and then some. It finally got to the point where I was forced to call Dell Support and unfortunately they weren't much help either. Basically I cannot boot normal or safe mode. I cannot restore Windows XP via the built in partition or using the back up disk. Therefore, Dell advised that I take the computer to a computer shop and have them reformat my hard drive using a slave computer. I would like to avoid paying for something that is possible for me to do myself. Any Dell users out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

I have a Dell XPS 410/9200 with Windows XP SP2 that has been severely infected. I've tried everything suggested on this site, and then some. It finally got to the point where I was forced to call Dell Support and unfortunately they weren't much help either. Basically I cannot boot normal or safe mode. I cannot restore Windows XP via the built in partition or using the back up disk. Therefore, Dell advised that I take the computer to a computer shop and have them reformat my hard drive using a slave computer. I would like to avoid paying for something that is possible for me to do myself. Any Dell users out there?

on some dells if, whilst first booting, you press the tab key a number of times you'll be taken to a menu - this will allow you to re-format the computer safely.
BUT - don't leave it long - do it almost as soon as you load the computer.

Joe.

#3 emilsnake48

emilsnake48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

Didn't work.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

When you say it "didn't work" can you provide some more details. What procedure did you follow? And what happened? Any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 emilsnake48

emilsnake48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

Basically, the virus won't allow access to the hard drive. Everything I've tried ends up with the dreaded blue screen. Even the boot menu won't work. I'd like to know if there's a program I can run from a CD that somehow bypasses the infection and allows reformatting. Or maybe instructions on how to reformat using another computer as a "slave".

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

You could try scanning with these boot dosks:

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/s...e-cd/index.html
http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avir...cue_system.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users