Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirect virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Philp

Philp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and asking for help on removing a virus or virus's from my laptop a Inspiron 8600 running XP pro.
Ive tried malwarebytes and windows defender to no avail. I have AVG 8.5.432 free version.
When on the Google web site and trying to go to another it redirects me to other web pages.
I also have Hijack this downloaded and the newest version of Malwarebytes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Philp

Philp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Orange Blossom

I've tried CCleaner,SuperAntispyware free and Malwarebytes, Windows Defender as well as AVG with no luck. Still have the redirect to web pages after running these in safe mode. Would you like me to post any logs?

Thanks for your reply.

#4 tigger8472

tigger8472

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:21 AM

It looks like you have the TDL3 rootkit causing search engine redirects..
The mentioned products wont work as these are all unable to detect this sophisticated rootkit.

The rootkit infects the hard disk driver (usually atapi.sys) making removal very difficult.

Only Hitman Pro 3.5 and Combofix are able to detect and remove the newest variants of this rootkit.
http://www.surfright.nl/en

Read here more about this rootkit here:
http://remove-malware.com/malware/malware-...-is-everywhere/

... or here how TDL3 manages to stay undetected by most AV products:
http://rootbiez.blogspot.com/2009/11/rootk...s-lets-put.html

#5 Philp

Philp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

Problem resolved. I had also went to Microsofts web site and requested help and and they got right back with me. They worked with me and found the trojan and removed it. Thanks for your guys and gals work though.
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users