Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXBullxDozeRXx

xXBullxDozeRXx

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

I reformatted yesterday, and was able to get my computer running in tip-top condition. However, I now have no sound. When I first built my rig, the sound was fine. After reformatting and installing a new OS, however, I had sound for everything except for my browser (which is quite annoying). This led to my reformat yesterday, trying to rid my rig of this problem. Unfortunately, now I have absolutely NO sound. This is a big problem. After searching extensively through the dark corridors of the interwebs, I found that there are many more who have the same motherboard as I, and have no sound. Hopefully one of you nice gentlemen can help me with this. Information:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service pack 2

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3700+
2.21 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-K8 Sli Pro series

I have downloaded the necessary drivers, but cannot seem to get the sound working. I have contacted gigabyte tech support, but according to some of the posts I found, they have terrible support. This seems to be true, as I lodged a complaint yesterday afternoon and my email has not even been opened yet. The main problem seems to be that when I plug my speakers into the Line Out port, it recognizes them as a 'stereo line in' device. The sound driver I am using is the Realtek'97 one.. any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

You may need to install the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver.

You may also want to get the Realtek HD Audio Drivers for Windows from here.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

Assuming you are using the onboard audio,

Do you have the latest bios? In the bios settings, is the onboard sound enabled?

If you run msinfo32, and look in Components->Problem Devices, do you see anything there?

Anything suspicious in the windows log files?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 xXBullxDozeRXx

xXBullxDozeRXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

To the first reply, I'm downloading the provided links and will post results. To the second response, I am using onboard sound, but I'm not sure if I have the latest bios- however, I'll check to make sure that onboard sound is enabled. The only problem device listed is '1394 Net Adapter' which is not enabled.. but I'm not sure how much of a problem that is, since I am on the internet.

#5 xXBullxDozeRXx

xXBullxDozeRXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

So I downloaded the realtek driver and installed it; nothing has changed. I have no idea what to do with this hotfix or how to get it to work, so that may still be viable, I just don't know how to use it. As for the bios, I couldn't find an option for onboard audio, so I'm not sure what to say about that.

#6 xXBullxDozeRXx

xXBullxDozeRXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:05 PM

I fixed the problem, but in a strange way. I went into the realtek sound manager and reconfigured the jacks- changing the line in to the line out and vice versa. I then plugged my speakers into my new line out port and voila! I even have sound on the internet again! I am magical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users