Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you help? I have malware defence, antivirus live and swp 2009 demo virus's

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dopey365

dopey365

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

I'm a noob to bleepingcomputer so please forgive me for not knowing all the rules and regs. I have been helping a family member clean a computer and I possibly made it worse although I don't know how that could happen.

Right now the computer has malware defence, antivirus live and swp 2009 demo virus's. I was called to help when it just had malware defence. I was able to boot in safe mode run rkill and then malwarebytes. I ran multiple quick and full scans until it found 0 infections. I was also able to run in normal mode and run the scans as well.

Since the computers antivirus ran out I downloaded avg (its free but is it good enough?). When I started to install AVG it told me that I should remove malware defence since avg and it were incompatible and could cause problems. The problem is I can not locate malware defence since I ran Malwarebytes. The malware defence folder is not in the Add/Remove programs or in the System32 folder. I can find no traces of this program.

No one has been on the computer all weekend but this morning I get a call saying that the computer now has antivirus live and swp 2009 demo virus's. Like I said earlier we are able to run Malwarebytes from normal mode so I didn't think this fell into any previous form discussions.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex 755 running XP Pro.

Can someone please help?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users