Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: computer plus laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 racenutz

racenutz

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

My budget for the new computer is: ? $1200

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Wanting to have a new hard drive or improved hard drive and new monitor plus would like wireless capability for wii, xbox 360 live, and 1 laptop son has at college and would like to get a new one for myself. Play on facebook games along with iwin games, command and conquer games.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? windows office, itunes, kodak (lots of pictures)

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? internet live games like red alert, iwin games like farm frenzy, facebook games like farmville and mafia wars, my son hooks his xbox live up to play c&c: modern day warfare with a long cable that unhooks me from the internet and would like to hook the wii up to the internet also. My husband also plays on pogo his cribbage games.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? would like to have my son when he comes home from college and me playing on our own at the same time while my husband is playing on the hard drive one.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes! I have a lot of pix and my son has large itunes library.

I saw something on best buy about a new computer, a laptop, and a netbook? for 1199 with geek squad coming to hook it all up wireless and don't know if that is a good buy or not for what I want to do?

Edited by garmanma, 21 January 2010 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 racenutz

racenutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Would still like to know if this is a good buy or not? Any help would be appreciated.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

<<I saw something on best buy about a new computer, a laptop, and a netbook? for 1199 with geek squad coming to hook it all up wireless and don't know if that is a good buy or not for what I want to do?>>

Nothing but opinions follow:

a. A netboot...is a laptop without the optical drive. Having an optical drive on a computer system is pretty convenient when it comes to installing programs, installing games, playing CDs/DVDs...reinstalling the operating system, attempting repairs, attempting to eliminate malware and such.

I'm not sure why anyone buys these...I guess that optimistic purchasers who don't feel the need to do any of the things I mentioned above and who think those systems will never have a problem requiring an optical drive...I just don't know.

A laptop without options...that's what I think when I hear "netboot."

b. Laptops are good for persons who either need or like the portability factor. They are not good for untrained users who may want to attempt system component replacements/substitutions during the period they own said laptop. They are not necessarily good for gamers because they lack the flexibility that a desktop provides. The only advantage I see to owning one (I do not) is the portability factor.

c. A desktop is the system that provides the user with the greatest amount of flexibility, ease of use, upgradeability, capability for troubleshooting issues, and repair/replacement of individual components.

I don't do wireless anything so I can't comment on the advantages of that...but wired connections are faster and (IMO) more secure for users who don't necessarily know how to protect their files/systems/networks.

The first major decision you should make...is which of the three readily apparent types of systems...will work best for you and yours.

Once you indicate which of the three seems possibly right for you...I'm pretty sure that the members/visitors will offer their suggestions to help you get the "right system."

A $1200 budget certainly allows for what I consider a very nice system, depending on your preferences.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users