Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparation Guide Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 despdx

despdx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Was following the instructions in the "Preparation Guide". Got to the RootRepeal download, tried to run it and got an error message that said RootRepeal does not support 64 bit OSs! ???? So now what?
My problem is this -
My brother in law says we have a possible virus that is being sent out with email attachments.
We have Norton Internet Security, and I also have Spybot installed.
I've run scans and they say not infected.
I'm just trying to find out IF we do have a hidden virus and then of course how to get rid of it.
Thanks for any help you can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,936 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

Not all anti-malware investigative and disinfection tools will work on a 64-bit system.

Microsoft created a new folder (C:\Windows\SysWOW64) that contains all the 32-bit .dll files required for compatibility which run on top of the 64-bit version of Windows. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows but x86 applications are re-directed to the x86 \syswow64 when seeking the x64 \system32. For a more detailed explanation, please refer to Making the Move to x64: File System Redirection and WOW64 Implementation Details. Be aware that many of the tools we use for malware removal are designed for 32-bit systems and do not work or can give misleading results on 64-bit machines. For instance, running HijackThis on a 64-bit machine may show log entries which indicate indicate (file missing) when that is NOT always the case. Anti-malware scanners and many specialized fix tools have problems enumerating the drivers and services on 64-bit machines so they do not always work properly.

If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users