Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows update problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DevsFan72

DevsFan72

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my pc. A couple of days ago I got the fakeinit worm on my pc. The only way I was able to get rid of it was to wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows 98 2nd edition then XP upgrade. AFter having done all of this and using windows update right after the installation, SP2, I now cannot get windows update to work. Everytime I try it gives me this error message: Error number: 0x800A0046. I have tried all of MS's recommended steps to no avail. This is day 2 of this problem and I am going out of my mind. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

Have you tried the steps detailed at http://www.updatexp.com/0x800a0046.html?

One thing that I suggest is that you download SP3 and install it from your desktop. It might solve the current problem and it will provide a greater level of system protection than your current install of SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en, click the Download button and save it to your desktop.

I also find that installing SP3 this way will probably result in fewer problems.

Louis

And...you don't need to reinstall Win 98 in order to do a clean install/reinstall of XP if you have an XP upgrade CD. See Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

#3 Burning Daylight

Burning Daylight

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

DevsFan72, welcome to my hell :thumbsup: .........I too, have recently had the same problems, and whether it was due to a hard drive failure or a virus remains to be seen. However, I have spent five days now trying to find a fix for this, and am resorting to one last attempt as we speak. Rather than have you jumping through hoops for nothing, let me see if this fix works and I'll post one way or another by this evening. One tip: DO NOT turn off your system restore just yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users