Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Opens Automatically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TimedOut

TimedOut

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Hi All,
I might have several issues as things have gone from bad to worse and the problems have definitely exceeded my abilities.
It started with a popup that said my computer was infected and to click a very real looking “Microsoft” application. I just closed it and kept browsing. Later that night the computer just started playing what sounded like CNN, no picture just the audio.
I scanned with Bitdefender and it picked up three things, two of which it fixed and a third it couldn’t delete. I scanned again and it let me quarantine it (Troja.Heur.IOU@v9Qzbajkx). Since then I can’t get IE to work. It starts then it says connecting but never connects. It also keeps opening automatically and trying to go to a site but it won’t connect there either (http://netlist.com/search.php?mode+all&query=screensaver). I tried downloading a newer version of IE but I still have the same problem. FF opens and works okay but I still get the IE popping up trying to connect. Once IE opens it’s very difficult to close but it might just be because my computer is overwhelmed?
I tried to download Malware Byte but I’m not having any luck getting it to load.
It seems like the more I do to figure this out the worse it gets and the slower the computer operates. (I’m on a different computer).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acardwell

acardwell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

I am having this same problem.

I have ran AVG in safe mode (through cmd) and it didn't seem to do anything. When I try to run it out of safe mode, I click scan and nothing happens.

I then tried to download Malwarebytes, but it wont run on my computer. I did run Adaware and it did find a couple things (sorry not at my computer so I can list them, they were all cookies though), but that didn't seem to fix the overall issue.

If you guys need any more information then please let me know and I will post it tonight when I get home.

My computer is a Dell XPS M1710 and my operating system is Windows XP Media Center edition

#3 sailor32009

sailor32009

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

I had the same problem yesterday trying to download and install malware bytes, what worked for me was to rename the file something random, and then try to install it and that seemed to do the trick, good luck.

#4 acardwell

acardwell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

I renamed the Malwarebytes executable (mbam.exe) to fixit.exe and it started working! I ran quick scan using Malwarebytes and it said that in order for the changes (deleting the trojans, again not at home and I don't know their names off the top of my head) that I needed to restart, I restarted but it only came up as a black screen with a cursor, no matter what I did it remained on this screen, so I had to hardboot my computer.

When I started my computer back up I ran Malwarebytes again, this time a full scan. Again I had to restart after it was done and again when my system restarted it came back as a black screen with only a cursor and I had to hardboot.

I started my system again and ran AVG followed by Ad-ware, both programs found some things (that is very vague, but again I am not at home so I can not list what they found), and when I restarted it actually came back to my desktop and the restart was fine.

New problems have started though and they are:

1) When I run windows disk defragmenter it pops up a message that "Disk Defragmenter Could Not Start"

I went to this link: http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28251 and did everything they told me too, I then followed the other think that is posted on in that one and did everything that is listed and still my Disk Defragmenter wont work.

2) Internet Explorer keeps crashing (even though I never opened it, I use Firefox) and when the message box saying "send" or "dont send" appears it crashes my whole computer and I have to hardboot.

I don't know if any of you have ran into troubles like this, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users