Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USED COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kiethlgn

kiethlgn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:43 AM

[FONT=Arial] :low: somebody ust gave me a used computer with no manual.The specs, say it is a Papyrus computer 450 mhz 64 mb of ram,amd-k6™3 D processer.
What does all that mean? Is it a old computer? i got it working but no sound. It came with 4 speakers hooked up to a black box that says Atec Lansing multimedia computer speeker sytem powerd by subwolfer. I cant get any sound from it. Do I need software for it? My computer tells me that I have sound blaster something,what is that?My headphones wont vn work. When I try to turn up the volume all i get is a loud hmmmmmmmm.
CAN ANYBODY LET ME KNOW WHAT I GOT MYSLF INTO.

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer REDSCOMPUTER (reds computer)
Generator kieth
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-08-25
Time 19:57

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name REDSCOMPUTER (reds computer)
User Name kieth

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD K6-2, 450 MHz (4.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Asus P5A (2 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset ULi/ALi M1541 ALADDiN 5
System Memory 64 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (07/16/99)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X (8 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI 3D-Rage Pro
Monitor Proview 558 [15" CRT] (1109215493)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB 16 (V16CL/V32D/V32G) Audio Adapter
Audio Adapter Creative ViBRA16C Audio Adapter

Storage:
IDE Controller ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD102AA (9 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive CREATIVE CD-RW RW8438E (8x/4x/32x CD-RW)
Optical Drive MITSUMI CD-ROM FX240S !B (24x CD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 9772 MB (5329 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter (69.232.200.111)
Modem U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem Win 1806

Peripherals:
Printer Canon PIXMA iP1500
USB1 Controller ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller

--------[ Debug - PCI ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIG RED

Edited by kiethlgn, 25 August 2005 - 10:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:16 AM

Sorry to say that its not a very good computer

450 mhz 64 mb of ram,amd-k63 D processer.

450 mhz is low the avg today is about 2ghz ( just over 4X yours )

64 mb ram is also low these days it starts at about 256mb - 1gb ram

But hey its not bad for free :thumbsup:

If you have net you can download dos games they will work on it and microsoft word would work on there for word processing.

http://www.dosgames.com/

Edited by cooldudenz, 25 August 2005 - 01:18 AM.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:14 AM

Hello kiethlgn and welcome to BC.

What operating system do you have on that machine? Does it connect to the internet?

That computer will be ok for surfing, email, chat and some on-line games. You can still get ram for it if you want to.

If you can connect to the internet, download and run EVEREST Home Edition. If not get Belarc Advisor and put it on a floppy. Both these programs will show the harware installed on that machine and give us the info we need to get your sound working.

Post back with the make and model of the motherboard and info about Sound, Video and Game controllers and we'll look for the drivers. Don't forget the type of OS.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

Well you get the Geek of the Week Award for Innovation for getting that computer to boot with XP. :thumbsup:

It sure could use some ram. It takes 168 pin PC100 SDRAM up to 768MB. You can get it used or new.

Kingston Ram

It looks like you have onboard sound and also a sound card. Are there two places you can plug in the speakers? If so try each one. There is a dialup modem in there. Don't use the speaker plug in that. Go to the motherboard manual linked below and look at page 12. Look for Game Port/Midi and underneath that line out. That is the onboard sound connection. If there is a sound card it will be in one of the slots and will be somewhere else beside there, and I'm pretty sure you have one.

The onboard sound drivers are in the drivers link below. There is no support for XP so you can try the ESS Solo-1 3D PCI audio driver for NT4 from that page. It might work if you get lucky. That will fit on a floppy too if you need to do it that way. Download and unzip it to its own folder. Then go to Start>Run>browse to the folder you made and select setup.exe. Before you do that look at page 15 in the manual (Audio Selection 3 Pin X 3) and see where those jumpers are. If they are in the disabled position then you are using your sound card so ignore this and get the drivers in the next paragraph.

If there is a sound card try this driver. That is from DriverGuide.com and is a Windows 2000 driver so it might work. You have to login in to get it so use driver2 for Login and all for password (everybody gets the same ones) if you don't want to register. If you use this driver it will also fit on a floppy and is an .exe.

P5A Motherboard User Manual.

P5A Motherboard Drivers Edit Go to that link and select Motherboard (Please select the product) then Socket 7 (Please select the series) then P5A (select models) and click search. Look for ESS Solo-1 3D PCI audio driver for NT4 under the drivers tab or the Latest tab.

Let us know how you make out.

Edited by Leurgy, 26 August 2005 - 12:04 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users