Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Vanished!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 blowupthemoon

blowupthemoon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hey, im a newbie here and would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Im having a problem with my Sony laptop sound card. When i boot up i hear the start up sound (before windows loads) but when i get into windows i have no sound at all, no system sounds or anything. ive reinstalled all my drivers, plug and play enumerator, realtek ac97 drivers, all the motherboard drivers, UAA microsoft stuff and am totally tired of this! whats strange is, under device manager it states all my audio drivers are working properly but when i enter control panel > sounds i have "No Audio Device".

heres some details i got from Everest which could be useful (note: under the "windows audio" tab i have nothing!):

Motherboard Name Sony Corporation VGN-S5HP_B
Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1] PCI

im running Windows XP.

if anyone could help me out id be massively grateful and if you need any more system information let me know.

thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

Try going to Device Manager-remove the device- restart - install latest drivers. Sometimes re-installing the driver isn't enough.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

go into device manager and see if theres an exclamation mark next to anything - find and install/update those drivers.

Joe.

#4 blowupthemoon

blowupthemoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

checked all of this, everythings showing as "Enabled and working properly" besides an unknown in "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" called "buacvrtj" ?! i doubt this is related. pffff, is it possible the sound card is fried? thanks for all your quick responses

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

You uninstalled the sound controller under Sound, Video and Game controllers...rebooted...and then reinstalled the sound drivers?

buacvrtj...no such item in Google.

Louis

#6 blowupthemoon

blowupthemoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

yeah ive done all that! very strange, ive attached an Everest rundown of my hardware specs if itll help anyone. cheers for the reply though,ive done all the reinstalling possible with no results! Attached File  Report.txt   171.51KB   50 downloads

i didnt mention before but i cant access the sound mixer in the taskbar either, it has totally disappeared. im wondering if when im in loading into windows the sound card isnt kicking in at all, that could explain why i hear the "dingdong" noise when i first boot up but nothing else?

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

If the drivers aren't installed, you won't get the sound mixer in the taskbar.

If the drivers are installed, from Start Menu, open up Control Panel.
Click on Sounds and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, place a checkmark next to Place volume icon in taskbar.
This will be grayed out if there are no drivers.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 January 2010 - 07:53 PM.

#8 blowupthemoon

blowupthemoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

ive installed all the drivers....thanks for the help but did you read my post? the reason im perplexed is because everything is installed

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

Well...onboard functions can appear to be installed and working properly in Device Manager...but the functionality may not be there. Your system seems to be saying that the functionality isn't there, despite what Device Manager reflects.

The easy way to check is obtain/install a cheap PCI sound card...install drivers for same...make the proper connections...and see if the audio function returns to XP.

Examples at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE.

Louis

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

realtek ac97 drivers, all the motherboard drivers, UAA microsoft stuff and am totally tired of this!

IIRC, the UAA driver must be installed before the sound driver
Are you up to date with the Service Packs?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Rogarth

Rogarth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hi I have a sony Vaio Laptop (vgn fe11h) and had a similar problem. After Reinstalling XP My Laptop produced no sound (apart from the annoying startup jingle). After much hunting and no clear solution, I fixed it by re-installing the old audio drivers.
If you're having the same problem as I was - and its possible you're not as you haven't reinstalled - then don't bother with getting the 'latest' drivers, sony are appaling with support for this. Instead I googled for Xp sigmatel drivers (the one that I originally had) and luckily the first one i tried worked (this was after installing many incorrect drivers though). Unfortunately I have since deleted the driver install file or i could send it to you, but googling to find your old driver may work.

Best of luck.

#12 blowupthemoon

blowupthemoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hey guys, just an update on this...

ive spent the past few weeks trying different things out but still no luck.

i would like to know if it is infact possible to "blow up" or fry a laptop soundcard thought incorrect usage somehow?

also, if the above is true how come i can still hear the system boot up sound? dosent this also rely on the soundcard?

ANY advice is appreciated !

#13 blowupthemoon

blowupthemoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

aiiight laptops going to land in the bin soon !

#14 blowupthemoon

blowupthemoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

ok, one last shot...

1 - will buying and installing a pcmcia sound card overwrite the need for my internal sound card?
2 - could i buy an external USB soundcard and would this solve the issue?
3 - does the sound i hear when i boot up (before windows loads, the sony splash screen) come from my sound card or from somewhere else?

id really appreciate if someone could answer at least one of the above !

thanks guys.

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Either 1 or 2 will work

does the sound i hear when i boot up (before windows loads, the sony splash screen) come from my sound card or from somewhere else?

It comes from the speakers
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users