Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google and other search engine 'searches' redirects to ad websites

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Clamma

Clamma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:34 AM

Hello there, I hope someone here could help me with my problem. I am new here and I am not tech savvy at all. I dunno how this 'log' works so please pardon my ignorance and please bear with me if I need step by step instructions. Here's my problem:

After doing numerous malware and spyware scans I'm still having probles with search engines. I've tried troubleshooting and I can;t go any further. When I ran the anti-malware(MalwareBytes) and anti-virus(Avira) programs I'm still having the problem of search engine links being redirected to ad sites. For example when type "Black and White drama" and the site is a legitimate, it does not bring me to the site itself but to some ad page. The only way I could go to that page is to copy link location and post it in a new tab.

I did scans in safemode with Windows Defender and it found one Trojan but it's already deleted. When I ran Malware Bytes, it deleted 6 trojan/malware, and when I run Avira, it deleted 3 suspcious files. Despite these, I still have the problem. I also deleted my temp folders via CC Cleaner and still have the same problem.

I hope someone professional could help me here. Is this some sort of undetected malware/virus/trojan/spyware? It looks like quite a lot of people are having this problem or something similar.

By the way, I am using Windows XP

Edited by Clamma, 18 January 2010 - 06:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Clamma

Clamma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

Sorry for not posting any log but if needed I can post the log from malwarebytes. Everytime I do a scan, it always detects and removes something from the registry every me I ran it. I already turned off the System restore and these problems still occur.

In addition to these, sometimes the 'bogus sites' where I'm redirected to seemingly try to download a .pdf file on my computer but in the end, Adobe Reader would say the file cannot be opened because it it corrupted

Edited by Clamma, 19 January 2010 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users