Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I remove internet security 2010 with USB to IDE cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kaatucan

kaatucan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:48 AM

Hi all I was recently hit with Internet Security 2010 and it has taken over my computer I cant boot in safe mode at all, I have no task bar at all, a pop up says taskmanager has been disabled because it is infected, no start button, I was able to click on superantispyware but the program would not run . The whole desktop is green except for icons and pop ups. The computer is a Panasonic CF-51 was on yahoo mail chat when avast siren went off it said a dangerous site or something was trying to connect and that it had blocked it, I clicked ok on the box that said "keep blockig" walked across the house to say something to my gf and when i returned a widow was on desktop saying all the bull about being infected blah blah So not wanting to clck on anything like that I right clicked taskbar and on the menu taskmanager was greyed out clicked on start and no response. Then I double clicked Avast icon and program started I set up boot time scan and did a forced shutdown and then restarted Avast never started only this crap malware. QUESTIN Can I clean the hard drive using usb to ide cable? I have a dell Inspiron with a recent install of XP sp 3 have Avast, Malwarebytes, MSE, SAS, spyblaster every thing is updated as it also was on the Panasonic the only new addition is MSE and that is not on the panasonic. Thanks in advance for any help or advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angelbabe1uk

Angelbabe1uk

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:46 AM

I has the same thing in my daughters and no matter what we did the pc got worse
In the end we did a complete formate and reinstall of windows xp pro and now its working fine

#3 camom

camom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

Our daughter's laptop also got infected with the fake Internet Security 2010 and it took my husband and I 3 days to remove it! I've never posted to a forum before, but thanks to BleepingComputer we finally cleared it. Maybe what finally worked for us will help you.

Her laptop was basically frozen. No internet access, No taskbar, could not turn on in safe mode, could not run norton (which missed it anyway). Lost the background which was replaced by a green background with a giant 'WARNING Your Computer is Infected' followed by pop-ups of imminent danger, fake virus scans and the whole bit trying to lead you to Internet Security for help.

We tried using malwarebytes but IS2010 wouldn't let it run. After more searching (from another computer) we found this site using google search 'internet security 2010 removal tool' hoping for a simple removal. Found instructions to 1. Download and use Rkill and then use malwarebytes. Further down the instructions said is rkill doesn't run, keep trying and to ignore-not close- the IS2010 popups because IS2010 was basically trying to protect itself. So- I kept at it- probably clicking on rkill for close to an hour (who knows how many times!) and ignoring all pop-ups ( I just dragged then out of the way). Then all at once, the pop-ups disappeared, the screen flicked off and then back on with a usable task bay and a note that my desktop settings had been changed did I want them restored? I ignored that also and then tried running malwarebytes again and this time it worked. I ran a quick scan with malwarebytes which immediately found all the threats and then I removed them and then restored the desktop. (I did not update malwarebytes the 1st time because I wasn't sure I'd be able to connect.

Once my system seemed free I connected, updated the malwarebytes and then ran the full scan.

SO- If you're totally stuck just keep doubleclicking rkill (may take a very long time) but eventually it worked! Thanks BleepingComputer!

#4 lefty78312

lefty78312

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

First of all, thanks to BleepingComputer for having this forum and resources available. Part of my job is removing viruses from infected computers, and I refer to bleepingomputer.com frequently. Internet Security 2010 is a nasty virus, and there's a bunch of similar ones out there. Personal Security is one that comes to mind, but there are many others. They all basically want your credit card, but giving it to them does NOT remove the infection. I can't tell you how many people I talk to daily who admit to having paid these companies, and I wonder how many others are too ashamed to admit it.

I'm glad Malwarebytes removed Internet Security 2010 for you. MWB is a fine but limited program. It may remove the symptoms of the virus for a few days, but a significant percentage of the calls I receive are from people who ran a full scan just a few days earlier, only to have the virus return.

The ten-second solution? Dump XP and get Windows 7, and do not run it from an administrative account. That's not a guarantee you'll stay virus-free by any means, but it will reduce the likelihood of your machine becoming infected. Additional measures that should help: Don't install any toolbars (BHOs) on your browser. Don't install any free screensavers or games. Stay away from free music downloading programs. Keep your antivirus program up-to-date and update and run Malwarebytes about once a week. If you have Windows Defender, update and run that regularly as well.

Edited by lefty78312, 30 January 2010 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users