Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ads and pop-ups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LuisLazo

LuisLazo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:19 PM

I use Windows XP and my browser is Microsoft Internet Explorer

Maybe I made a mistake recently when I downloaded WinFixer 2005.
I scanned my computer with WinFixer 2005 and sure enough they found a lot of errors in my register, which they offered to clean for $39.95.
I declined the purchase of their software, and now not a day goes by that I do not get an offer from them, to clean my computer for $39.95.

Since then I also seem to have been overwhelmed with pop-ups and adds every time I open Internet Explorerů.How do I get rid of these nuisances.

Can some one help me?
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:34 AM

You should be using the Firefox browser! Problems that affect Internet Explorer (I.E.) will not affect Firefox. This program is free at: http://www.getfirefox.com/?q=user/register&r=114217

Back to your current problem ~ you are infected with malware. I would run HiJackThis! and then save the log from your scan and then post your log file to the HiJackThis! (HJT) forum here at Bleeping. Someone will review the log file and tell you what to remove. If you want a registry cleaner, try the JV16 Power Tools at http://jv16.org/ for a excellent program. You did not mention if you had any malware tools installed. You must use them every 10-15 hours, if connected to today's web! Malware is everywhere! If you need HJT (free) or other security products (free), you can get the top freeware programs for security at: http://www.micaspecialties.org/securitysuite.htm
Or just the 3 main malware cleaners + HJT at: http://www.micaspecialties.org/lockdown.htm

Have you re-started your machine in safemode and then scanned for infections? Or have you checked the "Add or Remove" section in the control panel for WinFixer 2005 and removed it? And have you clicked the "tools" button or your I.E. and then click "manage add-ons" and then look for the WinFixer program or some other "helper" that does not belong to any Windows/Microsoft program or any of your credible programs?

#3 LuisLazo

LuisLazo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:35 AM

:thumbsup:
Thanks micaman, I will try your suggestions and I will keep you posted.
I am spending more time now clicking to exit from pop-up windows and ads, than in any other Internet activity.
Luislazo

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

According to their website if you go to Start>Run and type in msconfig you can stop the popups by unchecking an entry.

I see WinFixer 2005 pop-up each time Windows starts

Please follow these instructions:

1. Click Start -> Run.
2. Type "msconfig" (without the quotes) -> press OK. Now System Configuration Utility opened.
3. Go to the "Startup" tab.
4. Please find and uncheck the check-box near next filename: "ni.uwfx5lp_001_0614", or some similar filename with some other digits instead of the ones mentioned in example.

Look in Add/Remove programs for WinFixer and uninstall from there.

Do not go to the WinFixer website with Install on Demand enabled in your browser or WinFixer will be installed without your knowledge

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

Hi LuisLazom,

I suggest you hold off on using jv16--even an excellent registry cleaner such as that should only be used if you know exactly what you are doing. If you post a HijackThis log for us we can guide you thru what needs to be done--specific to the malware and your system. Be sure to mention WinFixer and the popups--this malware can hide even from HijackThis, especially if you try to fix things yourself. But HJT is a start and we can guide you thru the specific process for your specific machine.

Click on the link below and follow the steps in that tutorial so you can get a log posted:
How to post a HijackThis Log

You can of course skip step 1. But be sure to follow all the other steps and use the links in the tutorial to:

1. Download the self-extracting HijackThis.
2. Open the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum to start a new Topic in that forum. It is important that you post your log into a new topic in that forum. If you have any problems here is a link again:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?act=SF&s=&f=22

It may be a day or two before you get an answer. But it is also important that you not post again to the topic you started asking for help or wondering if you will get help or otherwise "bumping" your thread/topic. In order to work on a first come-first served basis, helpers look for the oldest topics with zero replies.

BUT, once you receive a reply, stay in the topic that you have started. Do not start another thread.

Thanks and see you in the forum. :thumbsup:

Edit: Sorry for stepping on your post Leurgy. I agree that it is not a good idea to visit that site--at all. I would be interested in seeing if that method works. Most people wanting to be rid of WinFixer don't know how they got it and it comes as part of a certain type of malware that injects massive popups. I'm not sure if the removal method would be different when it's voluntarily downloaded.

But for HijackThis to be able to see all startups, everything must be enabled in misconfig. So LuisLazom, try what Leurgy suggests and let us know. If it doesn't work, be sure to have msconfig set for normal startup before you scan with HijackThis to post a log.

Edited by Papakid, 25 August 2005 - 08:27 AM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users