Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have two different ip's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lionking900

Lionking900

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hey guys, I was hoping someone can help me out with my confusion about my ip

I have 3 computers on my isp. When I check for their ip's on "whatsmyip.com" they all have the same ip, but when I check manually, its different.
I know there is something called static, and dynamic ip's..can u have both?

And If I use one computer to post on a forum and use another one to post on the same forum, would it show that I'm the same user if the administrator checks it out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

The IP that is shown at whatsmyip is actually the IP of your ISPs exit node out into the Internet. Going backwards from the node to your modem, the modem has a different IP. Then to your router that has yet another. Then it splits off to your 3 PCs. Each also having different IPs. That is a very simple explanation.

#3 Lionking900

Lionking900
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

The IP that is shown at whatsmyip is actually the IP of your ISPs exit node out into the Internet. Going backwards from the node to your modem, the modem has a different IP. Then to your router that has yet another. Then it splits off to your 3 PCs. Each also having different IPs. That is a very simple explanation.

So, to the online world, I could be 3 different users?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:36 AM

No. Any one seeing your IP, or sites that log IP`s only see`s the one that you see when you visit whatsmyip.

#5 Lionking900

Lionking900
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

No. Any one seeing your IP, or sites that log IP`s only see`s the one that you see when you visit whatsmyip.

Oh, alright. Thank you so much for your help. really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users